Day 1 - Graduation, a free hotel room and a wedding.


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Burnaby
June 14th 2013
Published: July 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The day was a perfectly lovely summer day on Burnaby Mountain…

OK I cannot start the blog with a LIE! Graduation day was cold with driving rain, however, I did manage to make it across the stage without tripping.

Following grad Kim and I jumped into my Aunt Joyce and Uncle David’s car and we headed to the airport. I feel compelled to mention (mainly because I am sure it will be blamed on me anyway) that we were there 3 hours early. We had a nice drink and relatively uneventful flight to Toronto, where we were to stay at the Toronto airport hotel before travelling to London Ontario for my sister's wedding.

Funny story! We are checking in for the two rooms I booked several months ago (at 12:30 am the day of the wedding), when they gave David and Joyce their room key and then proceeded to tell us there were no more rooms and they were just going to send us down the street. Needless to say we were a little bit upset. We argued that they had just checked in half our party and that we all needed to leave for the wedding from
Joyce & KimJoyce & KimJoyce & Kim

Trying to keep warm under the blankets!
there in the morning. We were offered cots in a meeting room for no charge, which we decided to accept. Then after an hour and a half they miraculously found us a normal room. It was crazy, 20% of our total hotel time was spent waiting in their lobby. Because we were so mad at the time we told them we were not paying for the room. They reluctantly agreed. WOOHOO, bad sleep but under budget.

Six hours later we were up and on our way to Mioara’s wedding. The wedding was a beautiful sunny day and the bride looked gorgeous (even though I am biased). It was stinking hot in the very old non-air conditioned chapel and my niece who was a bridesmaid passed out and took a nasty knock to the noggin five minutes before the end of the ceremony. My brother and sister-in-law took her to the hospital, which left Kim and I to look after my nephew, who was a very dapper looking ring bearer. This meant there is a great photo with the bride and groom where Kim and I look like proud parents of the little guy. My niece has now recovered from a minor concussion and my Bro and SIL were able to join the wedding party later.

A graduation, a flight, a hotel fiasco and a wedding is a cracker of a first 36 hours…

Stay tuned for more from this first leg filled with Ontario family, friends and fremly (those combination of people that don’t quite fit the family or friends category but are lovingly in the middle).


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The SFU Pipe Band The SFU Pipe Band
The SFU Pipe Band

They play at every graduation and are very good!
Shane and MikeShane and Mike
Shane and Mike

Mike graduated the day before when the weather was beautifully sunny.
From Graduation to the AirportFrom Graduation to the Airport
From Graduation to the Airport

Yes, Shane is getting changed in the car!
Ciara & RonanCiara & Ronan
Ciara & Ronan

As Junior Bridesmaid & Ring Bearer at Mioara's wedding.
Ronan, Shane & AnneRonan, Shane & Anne
Ronan, Shane & Anne

Hanging out at the Courthouse waiting for photos.
Us and Ronan with Mark & MioaraUs and Ronan with Mark & Mioara
Us and Ronan with Mark & Mioara

What a beautiful wedding!


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb