Jasper National Park - wow! (by half)


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We were out of luck during our stay in Jasper, as there was either heavy cloud or rain for the most part of our time there. We had some good fortune on our full day when we hired a car though, as the morning remained relatively clear. We drove up the Maligne Valley to its canyon and lake, enjoying the spectacle of its river gushing though a very narrow gorge. Also spotted about four black bears along the way, along with about 10 -20 cars on each occasion, pulling over to look from a (usally) safe distance. Alas there were no caribou or other deer sightings, despite the ample signage. In the afternoon we drove to Mount Edith Cavell, where Darren managed a walk to photograph the spectacular Angel Glacier, perched high on Edith's belly. Unfortunately Darren had to abort as the rain set in. Onwards in the car to the amazing Athabasca Falls and more bear sightings. In the evening we were 'promised' that we'd sight deer around the Jasper Lake Lodge so took a drive after dinner. Again, they seemed to be on holiday. The next morning it was very wet and cold, so we were limited to tourist shopping activities.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb