The Skeena rail journey - Prince Rupert to Jasper


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Skeena train, run by VIA rail, is a 20 hour journey with an overnight stop in Prince George. The trip was very scenic for the first four hours, then extremely pleasant but not so stunning for the remainder. Early in the trip the conductor told us we were very fortunate to get a vista of the Seven Sisters, a spectacular jagged mountain range. The train also runs along the Skeena River for the first four hours then the Fraser, BC's mightiest river, for most of day 2. We missed the view of Mt Robson, late on Day 2 due to cloud. Robson is the Canadian Rockies' highest peak. Our hosts Walt and Ruth at Bedford Place B&B at Prince George made us very welcome. Again, the wildlife was light on, with two or three bear sightings and no deer family at all. An interesting stop was at the remote village of Penny (population 20) where we visted the smallest post office in Canada. Akin to Australia's 'pub with no beer', it had no postage stamps for sale that day!!! The train was reasonably full on Day 1 (except for the very expensive Totem Class) but quiet on Day 2.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb