THE GLORIOUS CANADIAN ROCKIES


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper National Park
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Peyto LakePeyto LakePeyto Lake

Have you ever seen anything as remarkable?
We left the cozy atmosphere of Rick and Sharons and headed for the rockies. It was Monday morning and the traffic was a little busy getting out of the city but within 30 minutes we were enjoying some pretty stunning scenery. We had a lot of miles to cover and we made good time to the town of Kamloops which we hit around midday. Stopping for a burger and drink we were back on the road again within 30 minutes. Taking a bit of a slower pace now we had some miles under our belt we enjoyed the views of the surrounding mountains lined with trees. We saw a sign for a waterfall off the road so we pulled over to see if was worth a visit. Deciding it was we paid our entrance fee and took the short walk to the hanging bridge. The waterfall was really pretty and we stayed for a while enjoying the view. Back in the car we started to look at where we wanted to spend the night. Rivelstoke seemed close by but far on enough that we had a shorter drive the next day so we found a hotel there and checked in. The village was very small and quaint. We had a quick explore, popped in the shops to buy provisions and then an early night to catch up on some much needed rest.

The next morning started cool and overcast, the village hills were hidden by fog but as we started to climb the road we soon found ourselves above the fog and the views were really pretty. The leaves on the trees had started to change with the beginning of fall and the colours were so beautiful. With a steady drive crossing into Alberta we arrived into the small touristy town of Banff by late morning. Parking up we took a leisurely stroll around enjoying the warm sunshine. The town is small but very popular so there were lots of tourists doing much the same as us. I think in the winter it is also a popular ski resort but most impressive of all are the surrounding mountains that tower over the town. With the weather on our side we spent an hour or so looking in shop windows and enjoying the sunshine. With a supermarket here we also stocked up on a picnic for our dinner and then headed off to Canmore where Sharon had made our hotel booking. The town was nestled in between two mountain ranges and once again it was very quaint and picturesque. We ambled around the town for an hour enjoying the last of the days sunshine. Small little shops and restaurants mainly but also a very pretty little park above what looked to be a lake and marsh land. Bordered over so that you can walk through it was peaceful and pretty. Finding ourselves back at the hotel we sat outside on the grass enjoying the views before heading inside for our picnic. Sharon called to check we were okay which we thought was really funny as we have been all round the world in much more difficult circumstances than we found ourselves in that night, but sweet of her all the same.

The next morning started early again as we set off for the Banff National Park and the beginning of the rocky mountains. Our first stop was at Lake Louise, as it was still early the air was cool and crisp and we both donned our fleeces for the short walk up to the lake. We walked through a small trail which opened out onto a beautiful sight. The lake sits at the bottom of various mountain peaks, one of which is named after Queen Victoria a truly wonderful view of the snowy cap. The water is clear and still and the air filled with such peacefulness (well until a tour group arrived anyway). With the peace somewhat shattered we took our pictures and ran before the area got mobbed with snap happy Chinese, bless there love for cameras! Back in the car we set off on the road again finding ourselves pulling over here and there for pictures and when we couldn’t me hanging out the window or just taking them through the window screen. The scenery is just so beautiful, every corner you turn offers a different perspective on what you saw a few minutes earlier. Our next stop was at Peyto Lake, the long steep walk was pretty taxing but as we finally arrived at the view point our huffing and puffing had been well worth it. No where have we seen water so aquamarine blue, so unbelievably beautiful and totally mind blowing. The lake sits at the bottom of a glacier and the water feeds off the glacier into the lake carrying with it sediment. This sediment reflects with the sun causing this phenomenal colouring of the water. It was truly breathtaking and one of the most unique sights we have seen on the trip. With our heads full of what else might be round the next turn in the road we soon set off back down the hill to the car.

Back on the road we saw a sign for a lookout and decided to see what it was. We scrambled down a relatively muddy path and found ourselves at Mistaya Canyon. A 50 metre gorge cut by the river through the rocks over hundreds of years. As we walked over the bridge above the canyon it was quite impressive to look though the cracks of the rock to the rushing water below. We investigated round here for a while almost deciding to walk to another lookout but figured we had not got the time. It was a good decision as we later found out that that lookout was 5.5km away! As the morning sped away with more scenery, mountains, valleys and snowy peaks we found ourselves entering the Columbia Icefield. Our first stop here was to take a look at the Anthabasca glacier. The view from the roads was in itself pretty impressive as you see the lip of the glacier against the rocks of the land. We realised though that you can walk up to the edge so we scrambled over the loose rocks and followed the path right up close. It was very cold and windy but great to see the edge of the glacier, such a natural phenomenon. Here ensued a little cross words as Tim decided to cut off the path and go right to the edge of the glacier. I was a little annoyed by this but he still went anyway. Few choice words back at the car but he did get a couple of good pictures and got away with it much to my annoyance, bloody men! Still following the road through the park we stopped about 30 minutes later at the Anthabasca falls. Here the river drops down the into a canyon and the gorge is much wider than the one we had seen earlier. The falls sound very powerful as you stand above them and we read about a local guy who had been swept in and too his death a few years earlier. We followed the path around this area and found ourselves at the opposite end of the waterfalls where the river forms a large lake before running out through the mountains on the opposite side. Although not a blur as Peyto it was still really beautiful, one of the places you could just see yourself witting at in the sunshine in the trees away from the world outside, truly lovely. With a very long day behind us we finally arrived into the town of Jasper. Unlike Banff we were actually booked to stay in the town here which is nothing more than a few shops and eateries. We found the hotel staff really helpful and welcoming. After a bit of shopping for dinner again we decided that what we needed most of a well deserved soak in the jacuzzi. It was right opposite our room so we armed ourselves with refreshments and spent the next 2 hours getting very wrinkly!! With dinner eaten we were both shattered and hit the hay.

Jasper is surrounded by the mountains and the views as we left the next morning were really pretty. We had set out quite early again and were fortunate enough to spot an Elk on the outskirts of the town. We stopped to take a picture not that he was phased by this at all, he even lifter his head so we got a pretty good shot for the range we were away. We had opted to take the drive to Maligne lake which there is only one road in and out of so it meant doubling back on ourselves but the right up seemed worth it. The drive took about 45 minutes through a winding and quiet country road. We had hope being out so early we might have seen more wildlife but we didn’t. We passed quite an horrific car crash though which must have happened the night before ,we found out as we got to the lake that both the driver and passenger walked away unharmed which was surprising as the car was totalled. Arriving at the lake we spotted some deer and quickly parked to go take pictures but they had gone by the time we got there. The main point of coming to the lake was to see the surrounding snow capped mountains. The morning was
The new addition to our familyThe new addition to our familyThe new addition to our family

Taken at Maligne lake
very overcast though and we thought the tour was quite expensive at $50 each. We decided to take our pictures from the lake front and head back, Tim did buy me a very nice moose here which we have named Mounty as he is dressed in the Canadian mountain rescue gear, very cute. On the way back we stopped at the Maligne gorge to take a look. Once again running water has cu through the rock and created a very impressive gorge network which sweeps underneath the viewing platforms. Very pretty and because it was early nice and peaceful again. Passing back though Jasper town our next planned stop was Mount Robson. As we arrived here the sun was warming up nicely and the view was far more impressive than either of us had expected, truly magnificent and the kaleidoscope of colours from the trees in the valley just added to the beauty. We stayed here a while taking pictures and looking on in awe. The TI helped us with some hotel information for that evening and suggested a couple of places we might encounter and moose. Tim also wanted to see the Salmon and the lady was most accommodating with advice. Armed with that we hit the road again and stopped at the creek the lady had suggested to see the salmon swimming upstream. Although we were too late in the year for the larger salmon the lady had told us we may find the Kokanee species. Sure enough as we stood on the small road bridge there were small orange salmon frantically swimming against the current. Quite a strange sight these little guys were battling away against the river most of them were in groups at the edge avoiding the strong current in the centre. One salmon however was struggling right in the midst of the fasted running water and I watched him get set back about 20 metres as he lost against the strength of the water, fascinating. Tim went off to see if he could get closer to where a bigger group were but the vegetation was too thick and secretly we were both a bit scared of seeing a bear, unlikely maybe but not a situation either of us really wanted to try out.

That evening we stayed in a small town called Clearwater, the last hour of the drive the weather had changed dramatically. The blue skies were replaced by grey and then black and as we wound our way through the hillsides we figured it was safer to get to the hotel and off the road. It rained pretty much all evening and through the night. We had been really lucky in the last few days though so we figured it had to happen sooner or later. Our hotel was really cute and the owners very helpful. We had eaten on the way here so we just watched tv that evening and planned our next days journey back to Vancouver.

The day started very early 6am, the only reason for this was the fact that we wanted to see if we could encounter a moose. Neither of us had ever seen one and all our info told us that you had to be out early. So we set off on our country routes in the cold and dreary morning light. Passing lakes and pretty little towns over the next couple of hours we were disappointed that we only had encounters with cows. We did stop and ask a big one if he had seen a moose around but he didn’t answer, too busy chewing the cud. Tim even suggested that we should get some twigs and tie them too his head but he would never have passed as a moose. So we headed back to the main road and found ourselves in a little town on the way there. Stopping for breakfast we also managed to find a payphone to get hold of Sharon to tell her what time we would be back. With that sorted we began the journey back through the Frazer Valley and following the river almost all the way. The scenery of the rockies was very impressive even more so because of the time of year. The colours of the trees were just so beautiful and the clear air was really refreshing. At 4pm we found ourselves back in Vancouver and another weekend with Rick and Sharon to look forward to……………..


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb