Belize 101


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Fort McMurray
August 3rd 2011
Published: August 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

So I'm off in 4 sleeps! Ridiculous! It totally snuck up on me, but I'll deal I'm sure.

I will be in Punta Gorda, Belize to teach elementary school as part of my Professional Semester III, the last teaching practicum of my degree from the University of Lethbridge.

For me an important part of going traveling is knowing the history of where you are going! I mean, you'll learn more as you go, but I think it shows respect to the location and the people who live there to at least have some sort of basic background as to the history, geopolitics and cultural background of the people.

Therefore I present to you:

Belize 101



Population: approx 333,000
Location: Just south of the Gulf of Mexico, East of Guatemala and North of Honduras.
Languages: Official language is English, with recognized languages including Kriol, Spanish, Garifuna, Maya and Plautdietsch.
Capital City: Belmopan (Not Belize City!)
Independence: Gained independence from the United Kingdom on September 21, 1981 - it's still just a baby country!

History:
The area that is now Belize included such groups as the Caribs, Arawaks and Mayas. Even today you can see evidence of their flourishing populations at various archeological sites around the country.

Spanish sailors became shipwrecked in Belize in 1511, but did not settle until the 1670s, when timber became a valuable export for Europeans. The Spanish decided to "grant" the UK rights to log, but not to settle colonies, but the UK presence increased regardless. After the battles that riddled 1798 between these two colonizers, the British forced the Spanish to withdraw. The area became known as the Colony of British Honduras in 1862. Apparently the city where I am going had a population of 706 people by 1904, when a census was taken.

The dispute of who owned Belize certainly did not end with the war between the British and Spanish. Guatemala has long claimed that the area rightfully belongs to them, as an inheritance from the Spanish. This dispute delayed the Independence of Belize because the UK refused to defend the country from a Guatemalan attack if they did not maintain colony status. Finally they agreed to defend the country as well as remove the colony status of Belize, in 1981. Guatemala did not recognize this new nation of independent Belize until 1992.

Today the country has a large tourism industry, but continues to face the challenges of high unemployment, the drug trade and subsequent challenges of the 'war on drugs' and crime in the urban center of Belize City.

all information gathered from http://www.belmopancityonline.com/belize-history.aspx

Anyway, from all accounts it's a gorgeous country and I am so excited to go!





Advertisement



3rd August 2011

Guatemala is such a jerk! haha Can't wait to read every single post K! Lovelove!
3rd August 2011

So excited for you K! And now I get to be the one looking forward to blog posts :)

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb