My last month in Paradise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So turns out I had that District Conference Blog written all along and just forgot to publish it! Oops!!

So, after the conference, Rosemary and Niki stayed at my house for the week, and we went to the beach, hung out, went dancing, were actually fairly lazy but that's fine, it was just fun to be together! (*awwww haha)

That weekend was supposed to be a good bye party in Culiacan, a city in northern Sinaloa, above Mazatlan. Turned out that the powers that be didn't have time to plan it because of some issues with a couple exchange students, so we all got an email that we didn't really havea reason to go. But the 3 of us decided to go anyway, because we already had houses, and we would go visit people (even though we had just seen them the week before, haha). Oh yah, and also it was Greg's birthday on Saturday (he lives in Mazatlan but he came to stay with Mitch who lives in Culiacn) and MY 19th BIRTHDAY on Sunday! Culiacan was just insanely hot, and since it's inland it's just hot hot air that doesn't move!! Swiltering, if you will. Didn't really do much, shopped (good inexpensive shopping in Culiacan if you're interested), hung out inside Mitch's house where there was air conditioning, haha. On Greg's bday, the girls and I went early to Mitch's house and made pancakes for Greg (and the rest of us) and even did it up with candles. However, that's not all they were. They were MAGIC candles that never go out!! Greg would blow them out and they would light right back up!!! it was freaky! That night we went out for dinner, a joint birthday dinner for Greg and I at a restaurant with really good cake, which we of course bought 😊 Then out for dancing! However, it was the last night that people were in Culiacan, and since people had definatly started leaving, it was another goodbye night. One of the american exchangers had made a video slideshow of the year, with a soundtrack with all the music we had fallen in love with all year, so that was really sad/ awesome to watch. Everyone crying, hugging, saying goodbyes (again haha) and. woot! happy birthday kristina! at midnight!

The next day we went to Mazatlan, where we continued the hanging out, beaching and sipping lemeonade at cutie little beach cafes. We were there for about... a week. Nothing really to report, just hung out 😊

Then I went to Guadalajara for my cousin's ''Quinceñera'' (15th birthday party). If you remembered, 15 is the big age for girls in Mexico, so they had a big party at Eduardo & Lupita's house. It wasn't traditional (big giant poofy princess dress, a big coreographed dance, giant dinner) but really nice. They had the mexican equivalent of a bbq, invited all the family and family friends, and they even hired a 'BANDA' ! this is a ginormous band - 20 guys!- and they are REALLY REALLY loud, but festive at least! haha The week in Guadalajara I hung out with Rosemary, who lives there. We went and did some last week GDL stuff, (San Juan de Dios market, Tonala, found the subway we didn't know it had!). And Rose and I headed off on Tuesday for one last mini trip!

We took a 4 hour bus to Guanajuato to see ''one of the most gorgeous cities in Mexico''. It really was beautiful. It reminded me of Europe, with it's architecture and little streets. It's houses are all colourful and beautiful on the sides of the mountain/hills that surround the city. We visited the ''Callejon del Beso" (alley of the kiss) where the story goes that there was a sort of Mexican Romeo and Juliet. Two balconies come very very close (68 cm) to each other over the alley and the young lovers (oo la la) would lean over and kiss, until her dad came out and caught them, threatening to kill her if he caught her out there kissing him again. And the next night, thinking it was a joke, they came out to kiss and her dad stabbed her! We also visited the 'Pipila', a giant statue where you can see the whole downtown part of the city. Great view! Guanajuato is big in silver and gold, they do a lot of mining. As well, another little interesting note is that a lot of the streets are underground tunnels, because the city is so good at tunneling (being miners). Also, we went to see the mummies! Guanajuato has naturally preserved mummies, that are sooo freaky looking, with their hair and teeth and nails and everything. Crazy ! Unfourtunatly, can't take any pics. Look it up on the net if you want to see, sorry! Anway, Rose was down to her last days so we only stayed 2 days.

Sunday, back in Guadalajara, I went to Eduardo & Lupita's house for the last 'comida' with the family. It was good I had the chance to say goodbye and thank them for everything. They really were the perfect host family. ALL of them, all 25+ . haha And monday Rosemary left at 8 in the morning, so we left at 5 am in the POURING torrential rain to go to the airport. It was sad to say goodbye, she and I got really close over the year, you know, being the only canadians and all. After she went past security, her host dad dropped me off at the bus station and I headed back to Vallarta finally.

Back to Vallarta where it DEFINATLY wasn't raining! It has been so hot lately. so so hot hot. haha Got here and called Olivia and Lorena right away, missed them oodles since I had been gone for 3 weeks (when I thought I was only going for the weekend to Culiacan)

So the last week, I hung out with my friends, went to the beach, packed and went dancing!!

A really really incredible last month!

And now I'm in Phoenix airport on my layover and waiting for my flight. I'll be in Edmonton tonight and in Fort McMurray tomorrow (Monday the 25th) !!!

Thanks for everyone's support all year! It was really really helpful, and thanks for going through it with me and for listening to my rambling!!

On to the next adventures!!!!! Summer and Uni in the fall!!

As always, love love love!

(ps, no pics yet, having an issue with the card. soon!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb