Calgary Parklands - Mallard Point


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
March 18th 2022
Published: December 15th 2022
Edit Blog Post

View of Mallard Point  View of Mallard Point  View of Mallard Point

Fish Creek Park
A dozen of us started in Mallard Point and walked to the Sue Higgins Park, 8 km return. The pathway was sheltered by tall willows and aspens, still showing their fall multi-brown colours. A few evergreens deepened the palette with their sober hue. Near the river, shrunken red berries, golden dried grasses, rushing blue water and crusty white snow expanded the natural shades. To our surprise, we saw tiny new pussy willows, shades of fresh grey announcing spring.

Most of the mallards had abandoned their namesake point. One family snoozed peacefully on an islet in the river. A few flew down the river looking for food. Only a couple of Canada Geese strutted on the rocky shoreline. Swiftly, a flock of six swans sailed over our heads to an unknown destination. High in a bare tree, a Northern Flicker trilled a long song, no doubt seeking a mate.

Our endless conversation wound its way back along the Bow River Pathway to Mallard Point, where we found a sufficiently frozen open space in the sun on the river bank to put our lawn chairs and eat our picnic lunches.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Bushy-tailed squirrel Bushy-tailed squirrel
Bushy-tailed squirrel

Puffed up for warmth
Leaf buds swellingLeaf buds swelling
Leaf buds swelling

Earliest sign of spring
Stretching to the skyStretching to the sky
Stretching to the sky

Bow River Pathway
Bow River Bow River
Bow River

Fish Creek Park
Northern Flicker Northern Flicker
Northern Flicker

Melodious trill
Holey treeHoley tree
Holey tree

Insect and bird haven


15th December 2022

My goodness. Did you carry your lawn chairs for the whole 8 km? You found a lot of beauty in what some would see as a nondescript landscape. There's something to be said about seasons that highlight the basic architecture of the trees and bushes. Your holey tree gives off cyclops vibes, with waving arms.
23rd December 2022

Mallard Point
I am glad you can see the beauty in scenes that at quick glance seem dull. (Lawn chairs in trunks - car trunks, that is.)

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb