Calgary Parklands - Valley View Park


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
March 17th 2022
Published: December 7th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Bow River flows from downtown Bow River flows from downtown Bow River flows from downtown

View from Valley View Park
After a breakfast event at the Greater Forest Lawn Seniors Centre , I walked west through some playing fields and along a few streets to the trails of Valley View Park . Although the park is modest, the views are magnificent! Standing on the edge of the escarpment on the Bow Valley, I could see more than 180 degrees of sky, city and river, with the snow-covered mountains stretching as an infinite definition of the horizon.

The park builders knew their mission: there are many well-spaced benches overlooking the valley and tempting the walker to pause, to enjoy each aspect of the view. The Bow River winds its way south, a blue trail that has carved the prairie for eons. A few bushes and solitary trees arrest the eye for a moment. Friendly dog walkers call hello, and the dogs are trained enough to only sniff curiously before passing by. At the northern end of the park, an array of stuffies are affixed to fence posts, in a sad and moving memorial to residential school victims.

For the first time, I crossed 26 Street to the “inland” portion of the park. In a design of small mounds and shallow dips, walking paths invite children and strollers to explore. More benches face a small pond, and picnic tables surround a play area with equipment for all ages – toddlers to adults. A few teenagers were playing in a desultory fashion, actually focused on their own conversation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Overlooking the Bow valleyOverlooking the Bow valley
Overlooking the Bow valley

Tempting bench to break one's walk
Urban windernessUrban winderness
Urban winderness

Bow Valley
Neighbourhood trailsNeighbourhood trails
Neighbourhood trails

Valleyview Park
Park pond Park pond
Park pond

Birds like it, too.


8th December 2022

My spatial awareness is poor enough that I had to look at a map provided through one of your links to see that Valleyview is more or less straight east from Inglewood Bird Sanctuary. I hadn't realized that there was some high ground there - what a great idea for a park with a view.
15th December 2022

Escarpment
Walking so many parks in Calgary has made me realize that the escarpment at the Bow River extends many miles and through many districts.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb