Days 1 and 2 in the UAE


Advertisement
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 - Mark

today we arrived in Dubai at 8 o'clock in the morning at the airport. As usual everyone started to rush off as soon as the light went on to say that we could take our seat belt off. We on the other hand just relaxed and waited for everyone to go off the plane (airbus 380.)
we moved through the passport checks and controls like lightning and before we new it we had bumped into my uncle Colin (not literally.) Then after all that he took us to a shopping mall! (boring.) But to be fair we did go and get nice food and nice drink so I started to fell human again after that horrible flight! Next we went to another shopping centre but this time there was this absolutely huge! aquarium I mean proper huge! With fish, manta ray and sharks. it was amazing with all different shapes and sizes. There were metre long sharks to tiny fish and they all glided along so gracefully it was beautiful. But i was extremely tired so we decided to go back to Colin's house......it is brilliant but we are only in two rooms (separated from the actual house) but they are cool there is : a bunk bed with space for two on the bottom and one on the top, there is a stereo, television and a nice bathroom all in one quite small two rooms.
But that is not the best part he has 7 dogs! I'm in heaven. They are greyhounds but they are friendly and earlier on we traveled up to the edge on the desert and took them for a walk the scenery was extraordinary sand, camels and the city it is brilliant anyway we going out for diner in a bit so goodnight.

DJ

Yes! We just touched down on Dubai's main airport(DBX). It was a brilliant flight, since we used Virgin Atlantic. Anyway, we're going to stay at my Mum's Uncle's house. We're driving home in a Hyundi because 4x4 are more popular than any other type of car here, that's because Dubai citizens like to/have to go off road. We have arrived! My Great Uncle has 7 dogs, and they're realy friendly, so they all rushed to us and poked their noses for a sniff. Great! I get to ride my Great Uncle's friend's Quad bike. After a while, I swapped places with my Great Uncle's friend, so I was riding with him in the passenger seat.................That was super fast!!!!!!!!!!! Dangerous driving, definetly dangerous driving. Anyway, earlier, we went to a shopping centre for a drink in a cafe, and I had a brilliant Hot Chocolate. Then, we went to a centre which had a huge aquarium, and there were lots of funny-looking fish. That pretty much explains my first day...............

Ian

Today's song: Sia - Soon we'll be found. (Playing on the plane when we got on).

I'm beginning this near the end of the day (Mark tells you what happened in order). We were up on sand dunes with the dogs, as the sun was going down (I assume in the West), with the shadows of mountains in the East. The sand is a beautiful warm terracotta and we have already passed a herd of camels swarming around a truck of vegetation. This will be a recurring theme but it's at this point I will say again that I can't believe we're here, in an entirely different continent.

Other things to mention today:

they like their skyscrapers in Dubai. And loads of cranes. The world's tallest tower is as you'd expect, and the aquarium in the mall near it is fantasticly serene.
the boys have been great - there was a lot of queueing and waiting and hanging around, since 3pm yesterday, and very little sleep, but they're still in good humour
can't get a mobile network which is a right pain

Day 2

Ian

Day 2 - 07/12/2008

Today's song - Spiralling by Keane. Playing on the radio until interrupted by the dusk call to prayer.

Yesterday finished with noodles, beer, and two premier league matches in the golf club. Everyone very friendly and Colin very hospitable! Then partway through the night our sleep was broken by a monster storm.

Today we've been on a drive through the mountains and up around the coast. The landscape is very barren - the mountains are quarry-like with an almost slag heap appearance and the odd bush. The coast is a combination of rocky beach, oil refinery, rows of shops and a hotel. Colin has told us that the Emirates (if that's how you say it) ship in yellow sand to cover the usual (red?) stuff. If there's a storm and it gets washed away, it all gets imported back.

Apparently the roads are one of the biggest cause of deaths, and there is a bit of a carefree attitude to which lane you are in and when you pull out. On the way back we pick up a mascot (Crispy Duck) and some dog food at the take-away. The way is to sit in your car and beep until someone comes out to help you. We'll try it at Tescos on our return.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0937s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb