Greece - Day 4


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
March 7th 2011
Published: March 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday I was unable to post to the blog as the hotel we were in did not have internet access. Hopefully the rest of the trip I can keep you all up to date daily.

This morning everyone slept in a little and enjoyed a nice breakfast at the hotel. We set out around 9am and drove to the site of the very first recorded Olympics in 776 BC. We saw Zeus’ temple, the track where sprinters ran, the boxing stadium and even the place where statues of cheaters were kept to shame those who broke the rules (even false starters!). Many years of wars, looters and earthquakes have reduced the site to ruins but it was very interesting to see the layout of the complex and the sheer size of thing. Before we left we visited the site where the Olympic torch is lit every 2 years for the summer and winter Olympics. The students learned about the history of the Olympic flame and its importance to the games. After this we were off on a long drive to the village of Delfi. We crossed The Rion-Antirion bridge which is the World's longest multi-span cable-stayed bridge. It crosses the Gulf of Corinth near Patras, linking the town of Rion on the Peloponnese to Antirion on mainland Greece. We kept on into rolling foothills and eventually into the mountains of Greece. The winding drive through the mountains gave a chance to appreciate the beautiful countryside and scenic landscapes. As we pulled into our hotel the thermometer hit 0 degrees Celsius and everyone cheered. The students got off the bus and many of them got their first glimpse of real snow. Things should be cold tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb