The Empty Quarter


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Abu Dhabi
September 12th 2006
Published: September 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Longway to no whereLongway to no whereLongway to no where

The road goes on and on till you reach the end of the road.

One of the last frontiers yet to fall into mans ownership. A beautiful place strictly reserved for the gutsy who can brave a 1000 kilometer ride into no where with temperatures ranging from 40 to 50 degrees. With camels and sand for company you will be stranded for good if you are not the outdoorsy type. Best way to reach is from Abu Dhabi and hop on a 3 hour drive to reach Madinat Zayed then drive straight on up to Liwa Oasis. The place is the birth place of UAE Royalty, a dead piece of land brought to vibrant life with all the cash of the new found affluence and German technology. After driving few hundred kilometers of lifeless desert this Oasis looks like Scotland in winter. Its a beautiful place with a palace and all that. Liwa can be used as base camp or to fill up the car or your stomach coz that’s the place with last human contact you will have. The landscape begins to change from here, the silvery white sands turn to reddish brown. At sunrise and sunset the sand colour changes into a myriad shades and hues.

Once in Liwa keep following
The Empty QuarterThe Empty QuarterThe Empty Quarter

I put the bag there to provide a contrast to an otherwise flat landscape.
the signs for Morcheeb Dune, UAE's second highest dune after the one in Al Ain. There is an annual race held for cars that can go up the Morcheeb dune face. Word has it that none of the racers ever did it. Morcheeb is as far as a regular car can go coz the road ends there. If you are driving a 4X4 Landcruiser then good on you. Enter The Empty Quarter, the World’s largest sand desert and notorious for quick sands. I personally got inspired by the English explorer Wilfred Thesiger who braved the wrath of nomads with the help of Rashid’s and crossed the Empty Quarter to reach the Trucial coast. Ofcourse my trip was not as exiting or eventful as my man Thesiger coz all those nomads have been lured into the city by tempting lifestyle. I don't balme them but I do have an immense respect for those who coninue to life life the old way.

While there do take care of your equipment from the sand and salt content in the air especially the cameras. And DO NOT under-estimate the height of the dunes. They are pretty high but the clear skyline creates and illusion of nearness. No one wants to get the car struck there even if you have a shovel and loads of experience in outdoor driving. One thing you have not faced before is the heat so watch out. Also keep a close eye on the salt flats, early in the mornings they are quite sticky and tend to slip under your foot or tyre.

If you are planning to go there do read Thesiger's book which can provide wonderful insights about desert life and their values. Though it is called The Empty Quarter it is a place full of inspiration and creative development.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

65000 kms of emptiness65000 kms of emptiness
65000 kms of emptiness

Surrounded by Saudi, UAE, Oman and Yemen its the biggest of all sand deserts.
Dunes the size of sky scrapersDunes the size of sky scrapers
Dunes the size of sky scrapers

They stand about 250-330 meters high
Salt bushesSalt bushes
Salt bushes

Its a miracle that anything at all grows in these horrendous conditions.
Rub Al Khali from Al AinRub Al Khali from Al Ain
Rub Al Khali from Al Ain

This one from the top of Jebel Hafeet
Nice place to campNice place to camp
Nice place to camp

Huge drops and steep dunes.
PhonePhone
Phone

I counted 23 phones on the way and every single one of them had its hand piece ripped off by some miscreants. So much for Etisalat's effort!!
Sticky stuffSticky stuff
Sticky stuff

Salt, sand and moisture makes for a nice quicksand recipe....


6th November 2009

the dester
a dester
23rd January 2010

just reasd an articvle about wilfred thesiger in the aramco publication. most impressed! no, i am not courageous enough to explore this "emptyu" region.
25th January 2010

Hey Ishida, bad news mate. This region isn't empty anymore. Atleast the places I have been to. Too many oil drilling plants and hotels have sprung up lately. Worst of all its an unofficial dump yard for all the hazardous materials from Abu dhabi and Dubai. Seen too much of chemical dumping happening there. So don't worry, u aren't missing much.
9th February 2010

corection
Its Moreeb dunes. not Morcheeb
16th February 2010

I Realized.
Hi Navin, Thanks mate. It was about 4 years ago. The board there used to go with a different name back then. I changed it in my newer posts. Thanks anyways :)
22nd February 2010

IT IS CLEAN
It is not true that Liwa has become the dump yard for chemicals. The area is protected, wild life sanctuaries have been set up (it is normal to see gazzelles and rabbits out there), two hotels are there, oil installations are fenced, and every effort is being made to preserve the environment. I am an avid offroader and we do offroading trips to Liwa during the cool months in winter. It is a beautiful place and continues to be
2nd March 2010

Avid offroader, I assume you know how to use a GPS or Google Earth. Try this!!! 24 01 32 N 54 23 43 E Yeah a real big dump yard! And good job trampling all the desert bushes in the cool months. Wonder why there are so many fences in a desert where no one lives? If you know any thing about ecology then it isn't hard to see how easy it is to pollute a desert system with just one dump yard and occasional dune bashing. Thanks for your comment nevertheless.
24th May 2010

Even the mail look like empty quarter to me!!!!
How I wish one day Allah will grant me time money and wisdom to visit this beautiful place before I finally return back to him. Amin
8th November 2010

size
The size is to little. I am a reprt for school and i cant see half of the stuff on the map.
9th November 2010

Say what?
Hey Madison, Let me know what you are looking for and I shall send it for you. Location of Liwa?
14th November 2010
Nice place to camp

awesome place
I was thrilled to see your photos of the empty quarter. I lived in UAE for 3 years and took 3 trips to Liwa. I find the desert very addictive - it is magnificent and changes so much with the hour of the day and the seasons. Best Wishes, R
15th November 2010

Hey!!
Hi Rose!! Thanks for the comments. I just came back from Liwa today. Will put up some pics. Been a very eventful day with the car :)
12th January 2011

Go empty Q
Hi, This is the most driest, flatest and empty land mass on the earth planet. go empty quarter,Rub al-Khali in arabia.

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 99; dbt: 0.1251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb