Olympic Day Al Budoor School


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Abu Dhabi
February 24th 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Here are the pictures as promised, of Olympic Day at my school. Half of my class (the Egypt half) won the Gold!!! The other half was Canada and was not as 'competitive' I will say to be kind...lol.

My principal casually mentioned just after Christmas Break that she would like to see us have a "Sport Day" of some sort. I told her I would be happy to head up the planning of the day and the rest is history. for those of you that know me well... you could say I 'took the ball and ran with it"...medals and all!

What started out as "Sport Day" turned into "Olympic Day". I thought putting the students into Country teams rather than animal or colour named teams with an Olympic theme, would be a great opportunity to teach the children that there is a world outside of the UAE (which many have no idea of). We soon decided to plan the entire week lessons (as we do in Canada) leading up to the games, around the Olympic theme.

We combined the KG1 (JK) and the KG2 (SK) classrooms by splitting the classes (1/2 JK and the other 1/2 SK)
The Olympic Flag...The Olympic Flag...The Olympic Flag...

..one of the activities my class completed within the week
for each team/country. This gave the older students an opportunity to mentor the youngers AND the two grade levels to join in a variety of activities together, throughout the week and on Olympic Day.

The day was a success!!! Needless to say there were a few expected and a few unexpected 'glitches' (one unexpected delay being that we started 1/2 later than scheduled, due to the school buses late arrival.....because of early morning fog). There is always something...... but 'shway, shway' as they say here (kay sarah, sarah...as we say in the Western World....not sure how to spell either of those, but I think you get my drift....lol).

Enjoy the pics!!! xo

P.S. Next BLOG entry in early April (if nothing interesting happens before...lol) after my trip with Mark to Ireland....counting down the days. Only '30' more sleeps!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Everyone singing......Everyone singing......
Everyone singing......

..."It's a Small World"...theme song of the games. All classrooms were taught the words throughout the week...love that song!!!
CanadaCanada
Canada

(1/2 my class...1/2 KG1)
The Torch RelayThe Torch Relay
The Torch Relay

...yes, we even included that...children made the torches in class
"Let the Games Begin"..."Let the Games Begin"...
"Let the Games Begin"...

...Cuties!!! (KG1 - JK in Canada)
Flag in the sand race..Flag in the sand race..
Flag in the sand race..

...students made Olympic flags with their teammates throughout the week for this activity


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb