On Holiday...yipeeeeeeeee....


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Abu Dhabi
November 11th 2010
Published: November 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yasalam.....Yasalam.....Yasalam.....

...pics of people and stage on the beach (check out the moon in the background......1 p.m. in Canada).
I love being a Teacher!!! Off for one week due to the EID Holiday (like Christmas to us). Due to the fact that I was an Occasional teacher in Canada, I have never been paid for holidays, so the words "school holiday" take on a whole new meaning for me here.

Not going to say much except to prepare for the pics I have added. They are from the beach music festival last night. Still part of the Yasalam Celebration, gearing up to the Formula One this weekend. Kelly Rowland's, from the USA performed. She was part of Destiny's Child. The concert was FREE on the beach.

The second set of pics are from today's "Haj" celebration at school. The children were dressed in cultural clothing and performed a Pilgrimage, in honour of the EID Holiday. Be sure and pay attention to the pic comments for clarification (lol....you'll see why).

Stay tuned for pics from my holiday adventures. It has cooled off to a "frigid" 34o C here...lol.


Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend! xo


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Lots of Expats...Lots of Expats...
Lots of Expats...

...fun to people watch
Kelly Rowlands...Kelly Rowlands...
Kelly Rowlands...

..hard to tell from this pic, but everyone was dancing on the beach...no alcohol but still fun...lol
We made Fruit Loop Necklaces.....We made Fruit Loop Necklaces.....
We made Fruit Loop Necklaces.....

...an end of week activity to tie up our lessons on the 5 Senses......
...sight.......sight....
...sight....

...colourful loops...
...smell.......smell....
...smell....

...fruity, of course......
....touch........touch....
....touch....

...rough & sticky (especially once they started biting them off the necklace)
...taste and sound.......taste and sound....
...taste and sound....

crunch, crunch, crunch (mouthes open no less...lol)
Getting ready for Haj...Getting ready for Haj...
Getting ready for Haj...

...children heading to centre of school (tent)....
LOL....the boys are cute also...LOL....the boys are cute also...
LOL....the boys are cute also...

..this is a KG1 class...lol.....check out the little boy in the Mr. Potato Head glasses...LOVE HIM!!!
My two little Salama'sMy two little Salama's
My two little Salama's

...three Salama's in my class, plus my teacher partner is Salama....she is away on a REAL Haj pilgrimage with her husband for 2 weeks...so the children will have only English ALL day. It will be interesting to see how they day since they have very little, if any, English.
Part of the ritual...Part of the ritual...
Part of the ritual...

....with due respect, I won't attempt to explain the process, since I have very little knowledge of it myself....just enjoy
Azmenia (another teacher from Canada)...Azmenia (another teacher from Canada)...
Azmenia (another teacher from Canada)...

..and one of her students. She dressed in an Abaya for the festivities....so nice!


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb