Day Eighteen - Classroom Decor complete! (pretty much)


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Abu Dhabi
September 20th 2010
Published: September 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, today was the 2nd day of school...14 kids today in total which apparently is not bad (our registered number is now @ 20 students). One of the criers from yesterday, didn't show but a few came for the first time.

We are finally starting a "morning routine" and I was able to complete the classroom set-up, which was great! As I mentioned yesterday, the kids are gone by 11 a.m. all week so it gives some time to do some classroom/administrative stuff, which we did (see pics).

We left at 1 p.m. today to go look at few place to live (NOT hotel apartments, but ones where we get the $20,000 drms to furnish (which includes any appliances...good thing I bought a toaster already...lol). Apparently, between IKEA and the Carrefour, outfitting your apartment is really inexpensive AND you get to keep the extra $$$$$$, which on average works out to be approx. $2,000. CAD. Not 'too' (for Bob/Mar) shabby eh?

After 5 very long hours of searching (with leads) and no success (remembering that the 80 percentile of immigrants living in Abu Dhabi are Indian and Pakistani workers whom after jobs are finished, leave the UAE...get my 'wift'...ooppss, I mean drift?). Sandra, messaged a guy she had met at the welcome party (a fellow teacher who has been in Abu Dhabi for a couple of years) and he came and picked us up to show us his apartment at a Villa he resided in that is very close by. Well, it was lovely and NEW, and each 4 unit Villa has it's own outdoor pool.

We viewed a couple different ones and settled on a pretty large one bedroom (each). The owner (a really nice & RICH Lebanese man named Nabil) drew up the contracts for us and tomorrow after school we will head to ADEC (our employers offices) in hopes of leasing them.....Keepn' prayin' (help me out Sisters...and thanks for the comments. I loved hearing from you and that you are reading my blog).

I didn't get any pics of the Villa because I left camera back at the hotel in my room. Will do when WE get the contract approved and the key. Now I'll have room for you all to come visit (not all at once of course...lol) and I will lock it up over the summer and have a place for next year to come back 'to'.

Enjoy the pics.....tomorrow is HUMP day here....only 2 days after that 'til weekend......g'nite! xo
'


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Anorher cornerAnorher corner
Anorher corner

Little reading table with stools tucked in
Carpet/arrival routine areaCarpet/arrival routine area
Carpet/arrival routine area

Teacher directed activities/lessons/stories (UAE Anthem...note the flag)
Cubbies/Student suppliesCubbies/Student supplies
Cubbies/Student supplies

Red and white table are for sand and water basins..someone took ours??? Gotta get new from Principal
Macaroni activityMacaroni activity
Macaroni activity

Bi-lingual names glued with noodles


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb