treehouse rocks


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Olympos
May 31st 2009
Published: May 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We started our day by visiting the ancient ruin of Perge. It was incredibly hot today in Antalya and Nessie and I decided to take public transit and then walk to the ruin. We were both soaked with our own sweat by the time we got to Perge. Turkish buses are not set up with enough ventilation (ie. windows) let alone AC. Despite that, I really enjoyed seeing the ruins. It would have been awesome to be one of the rich inhabitants of Perge because once a week you would get to visit the baths. The baths were set up like hammams/spas where you would do a little exercise, have a bath and then a slave would scrape a layer of skin off of you and rub you with olive oil. Skin cancer wasn't really on the radar then I suppose.

From Perge we headed to the bus station where we took a bus to Olympos which is where we are now. We are staying at a treehouse resort which is very relaxing. It's essentially like being at summer camp. We have our little tree bunk and there are common lounge areas with lots of pillows where you can sit and read. The beach is a 5 minute walk away and all the meals are communal...I'm having flashbacks of Wyoka. Tonight we are going on a tour to see the Chimera which are natural eternal flames that bring from rock. They got there name which has something to do with a fire breathing dragon because sailors on the Mediterranean used to think that the fire they saw from the sea was a fire breathing dragon. Tomorrow we head back to Antalya to catch a bus to Pamukkale which means cotton castle. There is an ancient city that is built on top of giant white mountains.

More soon!

Love Poke/Nicole

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb