Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
April 21st 2006
Published: July 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Istanbul, Turkey at 1620hrs. Had to wait for about 40minutes for the ‘Tour’ company to be ready to leave.

Traffic was something that can only be seen to be believed - bumper to bumper and there is really no rules except for the largest and brashest and most constant horn driver taking priority.

Whilst sitting in the bus in a traffic jam we saw a young run coming sprinting up the street with a crowd of people in pursuit. Just as he crossed in front of us, one of the pursuers grabbed him and pulled out a pistol and pointed it at the young guys head. A tad freaky. The tour guide informed us (after getting off the bus ant joining the crowd) that the young guy was a pickpocket and the person with the gun was an undercover police officer. Whilst the crowd was waiting for the uniformed officers to arrive they pummelled the young guy - they take a very very dim view of crime obviously.

Finally got to the hotel at about 1800hrs - had an argument with the reception - they want to take my passport and hold on to it for a while, told them they had two chances of that ever happening - buckleys and none.

After dropping my bags in the room (my room mate had yet to arrive) I went down to the reception to meet our “Topdeck” Rep - Sarah Hopkins - and several other tour participants. We all went out for drinks on the local party strip at a place called “Just Bar”. There we meet several other Topdeck tour group participants and guides.

Dinner consisted of a few kebabs from the side of the street (possible not a smart start) and looks of “Efes” beer 0 until the early hours of the morning.

My roommate was there when I arrived back - we were impressed that a Muslim country could show porn on TV at night - interesting contrast in value systems!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb