Gallipoli


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
July 3rd 2008
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We went to Gallipoli today. Wow it was emotional! We went to visit the graves at Ari Burnu, saw Anzac cove and walked in the trenches! i must have cried about 3 times today. We went to the museum and saw lots of different types of guns and grenades, tools, food, uniform etc but what hit me most was the skulls. Until that point there had been just objects belonging to men who had died, that was emotional enoguh but to stand there literally face to face with one of these poor men, with one still having the bullet in the middle of his forehead - wow, it was just very upsetting. All i could think was that this poor man was somebodys son, probably husband or father. At the end of the day he lost his life for greed and power. 20,000 men died in this battle which was 25 April 1915.

One of the graves that stuck a cord with me was one of this 21 year old man, it said; ' To live in the hearts of those we love is not to die'. In 2 days time it would have been Rob's 21st and all his
The 'Sphinx'The 'Sphinx'The 'Sphinx'

This is what the men nicknamed this rock formation when they landed at Anzac Cove, they had previously been training in Egypt.
friends and family will be gathering to celebrate it.

Ataturk, the Turkish leader said after the war finished;

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives, you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mermets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... you the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives in this land they have become our sons as well"

Need i say more x


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb