Cup Finals


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Ankara
June 28th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Got up early today and spent some time talking to the bell hop that works here. Really nice guy Told me about the big earthquake which rocked this region in 99 and that it killed 100,000 people. He seemed to be quite hardened by it and was obviously affected by it somehow. He works here 12hrs/day 6 days per week for 650 Turkish Lira or 500.00 per month. He likes to practice his english with westerners.
We had the Sporapi Cup Finals today and Joe placed 84th, Simon was 134th and Dave was 138th. Our purpose was only to prep for the World cup so hopefully we are ready to go and place better. The Germans came in 1st, the Americans were 2nd, and Ukraines were 3rd. Three of us on our team were asked by the U.S. teams to tow for them in the finals. After the finals we were paid for our services by the US team with beer which was appreciated as it wa 33 Degrees.
Went for a walk looking for a restaurant and found a little hole in the wall place with the most unreal food for dirt cheap. All the staff were so busy laughing as they never see westerners in their parts and can't believe we are there. There is no other tourists around here. It was fun trying to communicate with them in animals noises to try to figure out what the meat was. We got it right with MOOO and Cluck Cluck!! While eating the sundown prayer comes over the city loud speaker and floods the town with a Muslim prayer. Very surreal.
Found some cheap leather shoes which I will be going back for later. 35 euros or $45. I haven't found your brick of "Tobacco" yet Darryl.
Walking back there was a guy sitting on a wall which we all thought he was a busker. He wasn't holding a instrument it was a sub-machine gun. I assume police!
It is very different here, but am really enjoying meeting all the different people, both locals and members of the competing teams.
Practice day tomorrow and opening ceremonies to the World Cup at night.

ncoruwgbrg urhguoirbnowrgbhbvouwrnwbfow (Turkish for see ya)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb