2007-06-26 Turkey


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Selçuk
June 26th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ruins of EphesusRuins of EphesusRuins of Ephesus

It was quite amazing just wandering around this ancient city ruins...
We have made it to turkey and have spent the last 5 days here. The flight from Helsinki to London went well, the night spent at Luton airport while waiting to check in at 4am was pretty painful. Even worse was the end of the flight when we arrived in Istanbul, a little boy on the plane appeared to develop chicken pox marks during the flight over. There was a mini quarantine scare as we all had to wait in the plane on the tarmac as the boy was checked out.

We eventually made it and it was all worth it. Turkey is quite an interesting place to visit. The people are overly friendly and seem to love Aussie's and Kiwi's (especially in the cities around Gallipoli). The architecture of the buildings and mosques in the old town of Istanbul are also quite interesting and different from anything we have seen before.

We spent 2 days in Istanbul of which we saw the main sites; The Blue Mosque, Aya (Sancta) Sophia, The Grand Bazaar and the Old Town (Sultanamet). We actually stayed in the Old Town which was very convenient as we were literally around the corner from both
The Blue Mosque - IstanbulThe Blue Mosque - IstanbulThe Blue Mosque - Istanbul

Was quite amazingly huge...
The Blue Mosque & Aya Sophia and could see them both from our balcony (2nd place we stayed). Also on our last night in Istanbul we went to a Turkish 1001 night show which was basically a lot of amazing belly dancing, folk dancing, Turkish music and some tasty Turkish food.

Our next stop was a tour of Gallipoli which was quite a moving section of our trip. It was amazing to actually stand on the beach looking up to the mountains where so many people lost their lives over. You relies that the whole Gallipoli campaign was such a pointless waste of human life. It was also a bit sad to see the road dissecting both the hillside at Anzac cove and the trenches (where the Turkish and Australian trenches were only 8m apart) but you could still image it all.

The next day we did a Troy tour. It was interesting to see all the different cities of Troy from the different periods of time, built on top of each other. It seems they would just fill in the previous city (whether it was destroyed by earthquake, fire or war) with dirt and build a new
Anzac Cove - GallipoliAnzac Cove - GallipoliAnzac Cove - Gallipoli

It was quite Errie to stand there looking at Anzac cove and remembering just what happened here. It was a shame about the road disecting it however...
one on top of the ruins of the last city. The actual ruins however aren't that impressive and the reconstructed Trojan horse is more a child’s play equipment than the one written in legend. The Hollywood version of the horse sits on the ferry wharf at Cannakale and appears to be much more 'realistic'.

We are now in Selcuk staying at a backpacker’s resort that is pretty awesome. They have a pool and there is a very chilled yet happening atmosphere around the place. Today we went to a museum and St John's church (who supposedly looked after the Virgin Mary here). We followed that up with some lazing by the pool in 40+ degrees temperature waiting for it to get cooler. In the afternoon we went to the ancient ruins city of Ephesus which was pretty amazing. You could just walk through the ruins, some of which are 2000 years old. It was much more impressive than Troy but unfortunately the concrete 'filler' they used to fill in the missing gaps of certain ruins did reduce the general 'wow' factor of the place.

From here we head to Greece, tomorrow where we'll spend 6 nights in the
The Real Trojan HorseThe Real Trojan HorseThe Real Trojan Horse

Well as Hollywood belived. This is the actual prop used in the recent Troy movie with Brad Pitt.
Greek islands (Mykonos, Ios and Santorini) and a few nights in Athens before flying back to the UK.
We're still both surviving. Holly's pink eye continues and add to that a sprained ankle, a grazed elbow & a wasp sting (from Ephesus) and you have one determined little trooper who's still seeing and doing as much as she can. It's also not all bad as I now get to use fun new nicknames like Limpy, Pinkeye and lucky... 😊

Cheers,
Lew and Holly


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Hagia Sophia - IstanbulHagia Sophia - Istanbul
Hagia Sophia - Istanbul

Another amazing feature of the Istanbul skyline...
Turkish Folk DancersTurkish Folk Dancers
Turkish Folk Dancers

This was part of the entertainment of our turkish 1001 nights show in Istanbul.
Turkish Belly DancerTurkish Belly Dancer
Turkish Belly Dancer

Very interesting to watch thus causing our food to go cold...
Australian Gravestones - GallipoliAustralian Gravestones - Gallipoli
Australian Gravestones - Gallipoli

Australian Gravestones at one of the many cemetories in Gallipoli...
Lone Pine - GallipoliLone Pine - Gallipoli
Lone Pine - Gallipoli

Was the scene of much fighting between Australian and Turkish forces and it is now an Australian war memorial and cemetary.
Ruins of TroyRuins of Troy
Ruins of Troy

These two ruined walls are actually from different eras of the city, with 9 cities built over each other in total...
Jump starting a BusJump starting a Bus
Jump starting a Bus

Ok I've jump started a car and a bike but never a tour bus, until now...
Lew on the LooLew on the Loo
Lew on the Loo

They had all the amendities back then, including communial marble toilets, baths and brothels...
Ancient Ephesus LibraryAncient Ephesus Library
Ancient Ephesus Library

This reconstructed facet of an Ancient Ephesus Library was truely impressive...
Ephesus Grand TheatreEphesus Grand Theatre
Ephesus Grand Theatre

Ok this was huge... To image building this 2000 or so years ago is mind boogling...
The Magic AtmosphereThe Magic Atmosphere
The Magic Atmosphere

Ummm, we didn't quite know what that atmosphere was and we weren't game to find out...


Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb