In Doha


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
June 15th 2016
Published: June 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We sat in our hotel room most of the time and waited for the evening so we could go to the City Centre shopping mall. Downstairs in the lobby we talked to the reception who ordered a cab for us and as they said for a special price, Ha Ha. So nice you can talk a different language for I mentioned to Liz that the person behind the desk could be a brother of Obama. Must have been mentioned before, for he smiled and understood what I said. The cab took us to the centre of Doha. Stepping out, you feel dwarfed by the enormous tall buildings that surrounds you. For a moment you feel lost. You need time to take it all in. Than the moment arrives you want to take photos so you never forget the first impressions. The hot warm wind will soon invites you inside the shopping centre where it is nice and cool. We were again to early. Shops won't open till 8 p.m. There are several fast food outlets we could see. Around them were standing people waiting for the time that the singing from the Iman gives the sign that the fasting for that day is over. That is at 6.30 p.m. We were giving warnings that during the day not to drink water or have anything to eat in sight of people so they are not offended. Our eye fell on a pizzeria. We felt for a nice pizza. We had a Diavola pizza and one was enough for the two. We had some sort of cool drink. We felt a lot better after that and continued with looking at the shops that slowly opened their doors. We can see that Doha is not a cheap place. Clothes, shoes are all the same price or more expensive as by us. Eating out the same. Not cheap here. Drinks we would not know, for there is no alcohol at all. A small espresso coffee cost QR 9.00 that is equivalent to $3.50 and is a finger hood of coffee. On the bottom of the centre was an ice skating ring. We saw some young beginners trying that out. We walked around for a few hours and decided that it was enough and took a different cab back, which was cheaper as the special price we had from the hotel. On our last day of our stay in Doha we visited the Islam Museum. Very interesting. It tells you all of the beginning of Islam also their version is somehow different of what we know and started 600 years before Islam took of. Nevertheless it was very interesting till I went on the escalator that goes to the Mosque. Liz followed me but was stopped for she was not allowed there. Did not know this but Liz took the Security guard to what is said on the wall that women are equal. She asked the guard how come you stopped me. He had no answer for that and told Liz he will ask the Imam to talk to her. We waited for half an hour but he never appeared. We went back to prepare things for our departure the next day. When checking out Liz had another discussion with the Hotel staff about wearing a scarf. Liz said there is no reason for that. It was all a friendly conversation and we parted very good friends. They hoped we would come again. We told them definitely not when Ramadan was on. Now we are of to Paris and will have a better breakfast. No Ramadan in Paris.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb