O-man how good is Oman


Advertisement
Oman's flag
Middle East » Oman » Muscat
November 18th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The view from the hotel windowThe view from the hotel windowThe view from the hotel window

Well if you lean out the window at some obscure angle it is.
The journey to get here has been a bit of a tour though, due to unexpectedly spending an extra night in Kuwait. Spending the extra night menat trying to juggle two flights to still make it here in time to fly to India. Fortunately the lady at Gulf Air was very understanding and threw up a few options. After being waitlisted for the connection from Bahrain to Muscat there was a glimmer of hope. Then someone blew out the candle and I ended up having to spend the night at Bahrain airport waiting for an early morning flight. All was not lost though as for the princely sum of 10BD (they didn't accept my medicare card as airline club lounge membership) I got to spend the five or so hours kicking back in the lounge at Bahrain airport. But that was only after the flight was delayed by a couple of hours taking off. Apart from the noisiest cleaners this side of Pakistan the night in the recliner was reasonably comfy. Although it appears that my glare transcends many languages as noisy vacuum cleaning Pakistani man decided that vacuuming near me at 2:30 am may not have been the best idea he'd had that morning.

So showered and refreshed I arrived at Muscat airport, a picture of efficiency really compared to the semi-debarcle that takes place when you try and get a Kuwait Visa on arrival at Kuwait although this wasn't as bad as trying to get out of Damascus via the airport. The process here was quick and painless, pay the money at the currency exchange desk, through Customs and away you go. Out the front to the taxi stand prepay for your taxi based on your destination and away you go. Unfortunately the taxi driver managed to drop me at the flasher hotel up the road but all ended up good when they told me where the proper hotel was.

I'm begining to become an afficiedo on the Corniche since I've been on this trip. So far the one here from Muscat to Mutrah is winning. It's along the seaside where you get to look at the Sultan's royal yacht as you stroll the four or so kilometres from one end to the other. The impressive thing apart from the mountains behind you is the pink granite that forms the safety fence between you and the ocean. It is polished and goes on forever, every so often there are black marble etchings showing historic sites and things from the area. Add to this a few sculptures of marine life and it just keeps getting better and better.

The Omani's have to be the friendliest bunch of people that I've met so far in this little jaunt around the middle east. Everyone wants to say hello, asks about your welfare and is too happy to point you in theright direction. Even the hawkers in the souq have managed to strike the right balance between come to my shop and ok just keep strolling on by. All of this is a pleasant surprise and just adds to the whole how good is Oman. The guy at the outwards Immigration counter was telling me to stay longer, you need to see the wadis, the mountains and more, "you have not spent enough time here, you must come back". Might have to take him up on his suggestion next time I'm in these parts.

Since this is the stepping stone to my little Indian sojourn it's probably fitting that there are more Indians than in India here, well so it seems. Besides all the Indian takeaway shops and coffee houses there are more tailors than I've seen since Hoi An. They are tucked into just about every available nook and cranny as you wonder the back lanes of Mutra. Like Hoi An though I've chosen to forgo the 100% wool suit option.

Next stop India


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb