Jordan day 1 & 2


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Amman
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last night I arrived in Jordan around 7pm. The process of getting into the country was easier than it was to get into Cairo for my layover! We arrived and got our visas, then our bags, and then headed to security. After we went through security, we found our taxi which was waiting for us with a sign in a sea of taxi drivers!
We drove through Amman to arrive at ACOR (American Center of Research) where students and archeologist from American can stay at a cheap rate. Upon arriving, we unpacked and met up with other members of our group. I am staying in an apartment with 3 other girls. We got lucky for we got one of the larger apartment suites. We have a living room, dining room, a kitchenette, bathroom, and 2 bedrooms.

Today, May 14th, we woke up and began with breakfast on our own. They provide breakfast fixings for us here. After breakfast, the class as a group met and we learned about the Jordanian money. 1 Jordanian Dinar =1.40 USD. Things are rather cheap here in Amman, since this is a developing country. After learning, we went to the market to practice what we learned. We had a list of fruits and vegetables to buy. I was in charge of buying Mish-mish which is apricots, the man i was buying from wouldn't take my money. He called me his American friend!

After the market, we went to the Mecca mall where we were able to see how Jordan has been influenced by the Western world. In the mall, they have every store you can think of and more! It was the largest mall i had ever been to. There are over 100 stores!

Tomorrow we are going back to the market, but we are going to the gold and spice market and we are having lunch at an authenic arabic resturant. A group of us are talking about going to Jeresh which is a town that is close by to do some exploring. We were going to go to the dead sea, but 2 girls are still waiting on their luggage from AirFrance!! So we are going to go on Saturday!

So far the trip has gone well and there haven't been any complications. Everyone is nice and helpful when trying to purchase something since English is the second language here. Stay tuned for more!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb