A Tale of Two Cities


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District
May 22nd 2010
Published: June 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Jerusalem and Bethlehem are many things to many people. Being a few kilometres away from Jordan, we needed to check them out to see what the fuss was all about. After many checkpoints, bus transfers and a prolonged Hamel family inquisition, we were finally allowed into Israel and given access to the holy cities.

Jerusalem was a blend of old and new with a great old city bursting at the seams with holy sites, while the new city was quite European in its feel. Quieter Bethlehem involved a visit into the West Bank and therefore a trip through the 'Security Fence' that surrounds the Palestinian Territory. The Palestinian's frustrations with the 'Wall' and security arrangements were felt during our short visit and we were immediately struck by the contrasts of living on the right or wrong side of these barriers. It seems like the best of times are a long way away, while for many, it is the worst of times.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

King DavidKing David
King David

...albeit with a slight nose job.
Wailing Wall Wailing Wall
Wailing Wall

It is among the most holy sites for Judaism and is particularly busy during Sabbath.
Church of the Holy SepulchreChurch of the Holy Sepulchre
Church of the Holy Sepulchre

The location where Jesus was laid to rest and rose again. Many Christian sects have built chapels over the site.
Dome of the RockDome of the Rock
Dome of the Rock

One of the most important Islamic sites located on one of the most disputed pieces of land, the Temple Mount.
West Bank CheckpointWest Bank Checkpoint
West Bank Checkpoint

The controversial wall continues to snake its way around the West Bank, cutting off communities and families.
Security Fence?Security Fence?
Security Fence?

This is the Palestinian side of the 'security fence'. The cab drivers are waiting to shuttle the fortunate who have the documents to get through.


Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb