Jerusalem القدس


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Jerusalem Sunday, 31 May after flying from Athens to Tel Aviv. Travelling from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is quite convenient - the Nesher shared taxi service takes up to 10 passengers to various destinations en route to Jerusalem. I got off near Damascus Gate باب العامود and took a taxi to my hotel on Mount of Olives جبل الزيتون.

Both Monday and Tuesday were spent walking about the area in and around Jerusalem's Old City المدينة القديمة. The historical richness of the city is without measure - it is the Holy City المدينة المقدسة to Christians, Jews and Muslims alike. The Old City is surrounded by medieval walls and is accessible through any one of the multiple gates, one of the most well-known being Damascus Gate so named because travellers to and from Damascus would have entered the Old City through this gate. The narrow, cobble-stoned streets within the Old City are lined with vendors selling anything you can think of. However, many shops sell a variety of religious items popular to many spiritual visitors to the city.

On Monday I explored the Church of the Holy Sepulchre قبة الصخرة, one of the holiest sites in Christianity because it's proclaimed as the location where Jesus ascended to Heaven and where he is buried. I explored the Haram al-Sharif الحرم الشريف where the Dome of the Rock قبة الصخرة and the al-Aqsa Mosque المسجد الأقصى are located, this area considered the third-holiest site in Islam.

Enjoy the pictures - I haven't made much of an effort to write a comprehensive blog so hopefully the photos make-up for that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



2nd June 2015
Al-Aqsa Mosque المسجد الأقصى

Jerusalem
Thanks for sharing your blog & pictures. Beautiful city and so much history.
3rd June 2015

Jerusalem
Andrew, great pictures! Hope you are having a great trip.see you soon. Aunt Joan

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb