Day 15 - Jerusalem


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
September 27th 2008
Published: September 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Had a better nights sleep last night just the cockerel kept me awake this time.

After the habituals ventured out into the chaos of the muslim quarted to do some more sightseeing - over night it had been raining and the streets became a river of mud, the muslim quarteer is very dirty - rubbish everywhere but with the arrival of the rains it was far worse.

Later that night I was wandering round and as it was Ramadan everything closed after the end of the fasting in the muslim quarter and all the stallholders got together to have their meal. I went to the famous Abu Shukri for Falafel but it wasn't as good as what I was expecting it was my own fault as I arrived just after the end of the fasting so it was packed.

I had a wander over to the Kidron Valley which is just outside the old city's walls, saw the pillar of absolom which dates from the 1st century. Stopped by the garden of gethsemene and popped into the nearby Church. The top of the mount of olives affords a great view of the dome of the rock and the rest of the old city, definately worth the hike. Directly under the summit lies the Jewish ceremony.

My wanderings though did get me in a bit of trouble on twive I ended up at one of the entrances to the dome of the rock through which only muslims were allowed to pass and got a police escort back to the main street again I wondered why all the locals were staring at me as I was walking up - one of these days I'm going to learn!!

Later that night me and Kev went over to Rivlin street which is a short walk from Jaffa road where most of the bars lie - it would be rude nt to take advantage of their happy hour. The locals don't tend to go out til after 22:00 and as a result you can get some great deals. We found a great bar offering buy one get one free deals before 21:00.

Off to Tel Avvi tomorrow





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb