Betsy: Monster Caterpillars


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Haifa District
January 26th 2008
Published: January 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok, I just have to show you what we found today on our eggplant plants: gi-bleeping-normous caterpillars. They look just like the tobacco/tomato hornworm caterpillars I’ve used for years in my Advanced Ecology course, except on steroids. These are apparently Acherontia atropos, or “Death’s head hawkmoth” larvae, so-named for the skull pattern on the back of the thorax of the adult moth. We have 4 of these 10-12 cm long caterpillars, looking pretty close to pupation size. Wikipedia says that when threatened, the caterpillars will thrash at both ends and make rapid clicks with their mandibles, and even bite, as Kaitlin can attest. Zach picked one up and carried it around for quite a while without eliciting any of these responses. Apparently the caterpillar either didn’t realize how threatening Zach actually is, or perhaps it was too cold to respond. However, it did have one last trick up its “sleeve.” After about 20 minutes, it started to poop, and Zach got thoroughly grossed out. He held it gingerly from the other end and whisked it back outside to its eggplant. It was a large poop; we didn’t get a photograph, so you’ll have to use your imagination.

Wikipedia goes on to describe a number of other interesting aspects of this creature. As they prepare to pupate, they spit all over themselves, promoting a color change from green to dark mahogany brown over a matter of hours (new artificial tanning procedure, anyone?). They then wriggle themselves under the soil and spend a month or two underground before emerging as adults. The moths are apparently able to raid western honeybee nests for honey. They are able to do this both because they are immune to the bee venom and because they produce a chemical that mimics the scent of the honeybees which allows them to infiltrate undetected. According to folklore, presumably because of the skull pattern, having the moth fly into one’s home is supposed to bring bad luck. This certainly seems to be true in the case of the honeybees.

We are willing to let them finish their larval growth on our eggplants and pupate. Zach was adamant about keeping one for a pet; we were more adamant that he not.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Adult death's head hawkmothAdult death's head hawkmoth
Adult death's head hawkmoth

note skull pattern on back


15th February 2008

hi from TBE
Will miss Kate's playing in the Young Artist's Performance in May. but I am glad she is in Israel with you and enjoying it too. Hmmm, sounds like Alyiah might be in your future? We miss you...but so enjoy all your news and pictures. Marian
15th February 2008

That is the most disgusting animal I have ever seen! Even worse than the NW banana slugs, which you maybe are missing by now...

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb