Wurzburg, Germany


Advertisement
Europe
August 19th 2014
Published: August 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Residenz courtyardThe Residenz courtyardThe Residenz courtyard

Napoleon thought this was a "quaint little country home!"
What a great day!! The clouds have cleared and the high was 20 glorious degrees. Pronounced Vertzburg, this city of 103,000 is home to 54 churches the the Imperial Residenz that was inhabited by the Prince-Bishop in the 1700's. He was head of both the religious and political state in the days when Marie Antoinette's mother, Empress Maria Teresa, was a young woman. Many treasures from the Residenz were protected from the WWII bombings as many of the rooms and artifacts were removed, one door at a time, as well as entire walls and fixtures, and hidden in neighbouring countries in an effort to preserve them. One room succumbed entirely to the bombing and was completely restored in the 1980's to the tune of 2.5 million euros (3.75 million $$). Yowza!!! The walls were dripping with opulence. Hard not to be impressed by this but also a very sad statement about the priorities of the governments both in the 1200's and now.

After our guided tour, Arnet and I wandered on our own through the cobblestone streets, found a little sidewalk market where we ate a nice light lunch. We headed across the river and made our way to a
Me and my manMe and my manMe and my man

Residenz garden
very well preserved castle the over looks the main city. The vistas were breath taking and well worth the 2 hour hike.

The evening entertainment onboard was a local glassblower whose family has been artisans of this nature for 3 generations. The demonstration was amazing and his bowls and glass works were truly works of art.

Wurzburg did not disappoint. We loved this stop!!

Mouahhhh

MnA


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Castle HillCastle Hill
Castle Hill

Focus of hour 2 hour hike uphill. Awesome views.


Tot: 2.898s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb