At Sea


Advertisement
Europe
July 7th 2014
Published: July 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

School kidsSchool kidsSchool kids

Photo of school kids whose parents worked at the La Sagrada Familia
07/07/14

At Sea: Over night and early morning we steamed in a South Westerly direction, later on during the day we altered course and headed in a West-South-Westerly direction. During our sea day today at some stage we will cross the Greenwich Meridian, this is the line that separates the eastern and western hemispheres, such as the equator divides the northern and southern hemispheres. It runs from the North Pole to the South Pole passing through the borough of Greenwich, in London giving the line its name.

This afternoon I along with a few others were invited to go to the bridge for a tour by the Captain Ivan Jerman, it was very informative and the Captain certainly has a great sense of humour. The bridge is certainly modernized from when I was in the Navy, navigation is now done by instruments, rather than charts, and the wheel is actually on the bridge not in its own wheelhouse. The tour lasted about half an hour and was thoroughly enjoyed by all who attended.

Then at 7:00 p.m. tonight we were invited to a cocktail party on the after deck 12 hosted by the Captain and senior Officers. These
Six of usSix of usSix of us

Jim, Colleen, Ian, Sandra, Greg & Judy, taken at a formal night on board.
affairs are amazing they spare no expense, with as much alcohol as you want and enough finger food to feed an army, and there would have only been twenty of us there.

I asked the Captain was he sure he had invited the right people and he assured me he had, I could only think that we were invited due to the fact that I was one of a few that did the reading at Anzac Cove on the 25th of June.

We have noticed that as we head further north we are leaving the oppressive heat behind us, the temperature now is quite pleasant, in fact at night on the upper deck it can get a bit chilly. I have also included some extra photos taken in France and Barcelona to this post. With our limited grasp of foreign languages and all this country hopping, at times we have to stop and think where we are to be able to say please and thank you in the local language. Tomorrow Gibraltar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

GibraltarGibraltar
Gibraltar

Taken from the top of the rock where the cable car stops.


Tot: 0.411s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb