Gibraltar


Advertisement
Gibraltar's flag
Europe » Gibraltar
July 8th 2014
Published: July 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Great siege tunnelsGreat siege tunnelsGreat siege tunnels

Amazing piece of engineering for the 1700's carved out by hand
08/07/14

Gibraltar: During the night Dawn Princess continued to steam in West-South-Westerly course towards Gibraltar. This morning we manoeuvred and berthed inside of the breakwaters of Gibraltar. Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory located on the southern end of the Iberian Peninsula at the entrance of the Mediterranean. It has as area of 6.0 Sq Km’s and a northern border with the Province of Cadiz in Andalusia, Spain. After departure at 2:00 p.m. today we will transit through the Straits of Gibraltar linking the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean. The highlight of the visit today was the visit to the Great Siege Tunnels. Which were dug by hand with out the use of explosives in the 1700’s. The tour of the tunnels was authentic with displays all the way through. We managed to take some great photos. At the top of the rock we managed to see a plane take off not unusual, but here on Gibraltar, the runway crosses over one of the main roads, and they close the road off with barriers until planes have taken off and landed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Top of the rockTop of the rock
Top of the rock

Just one of the cannon emplacements
GibraltarGibraltar
Gibraltar

view from the top of the rock note the runway in the background


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb