Splendour of the Seas - Greek Isles Cruise 2013 - Day 7


Advertisement
Europe
October 25th 2013
Published: October 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It's a sea day today so no rush to get up. It is also Peter's birthday. I wont mention the age as he doesn't like to be reminded.



When we do finally emerge it's to a dull, grey and foggy Adriatic Sea. We can't really complain as we had 5 glorious days in a row and the Captain does say in his daily announcement that the weather will clear by the afternoon.



We go to the Windjammer for breakfast today, the first time this trip. It's very good with plenty of choice. You do need eyes like a Chameleon here though as people seem to walk about in a daze and are so intent on the food they are not paying attention to where they are going. As it's all self service it's over very quick. Our next stop is the Photo Gallery on Deck 6 to pick up our formal portraits taken the night before. Peter had been earlier and grouped them altogether so it was just a case of picking the ones we liked and discarding the ones we didn't. There were more of the latter. Lines were really busy as everyone had the same idea it would seem. As we dock very early tomorrow we decide to get started on the packing early. Picking out what we would wear this evening at Chops Grille and also what to wear home tomorrow.



We go through our discount booklet and pull out any unused vouchers we might likely use, like the 20% off a beverage, buy one glass of wine get one free, free slot pulls at the casino etc. We do head for the casino again as the weather outside has not improved. We hear the foghorn sound a few times as it's a real pea-souper at this stage. I win a key-chain on the slot pull and we lose some more dollars to the voracious slots.



We head to the Windjammer again for lunch but note that they have set up a BBQ on the pool deck and opt for that instead. I have a delicious grilled chicken roll with salad. As the Captain predicted the sun is starting to break through and patches of blue are visible like a memory of the previous 5 days. We grab our ipads/phones & headphones and head to deck 4 where hardly anyone ventures. There is a chilly breeze on the sunny side but we find a windbreak as the clouds clear away and enjoy the sunshine for an hour or so.



Retiring to our cabin we relax for the rest of the afternoon before showering and dressing for dinner. We stop off at the Diamond Lounge for a few final drinks and hand out gratuities (and also a wow card for the young girl that has been serving us all week).



Dinner in Chops is excellent as usual. It's much quieter tonight than earlier in the week and we are the last 2 people to leave at the end of the night. A bit disappointed that the staff made no effort for Peters birthday (candles, singalong) even though they knew it was. But it didn't ruin an excellent evening. We carry our warmed brandies through to the Viking Crown Lounge to finish them off.



Overall we had an excellent cruise on Splendour of the Seas even though as a ship she is far from our favourite. The itinerary and the people we met made the holiday. Highlights were Dubrovnik and Santorini. We were let down by some of the staff who we thought were a little rude and abrupt at times. Some of the other staff more than made up for them though with ready smiles and great service. Splendour is an older ship with a relatively new crew so it could be that. What we really missed was some of the venues that you find on the larger ships. I guess we are size queens after all.

We retire and set our alarms for 6am as we need to be off the ship by 7.30ish


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb