Splendour of the Seas - Greek Isles Cruise 2013 - Day 6


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » West Greece » Katakolo
October 24th 2013
Published: October 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We arrive in the small fishing village of Katakolon just before 10am. The main reason for coming here is it's proximity to the ancient site of Olympia where the first Olympics were held. Nothing like the Olympics we know today. Firstly they were Pan-Hellenic and not international, which is just as well as I am sure the Jamaicans were as fast back then as now.

We decided that we would not do Olympia as after Dubrovnik, Santorini & Athens we were a bit tour weary. Instead we had a leisurely breakfast before going ashore to visit the small town. It was very small consisting of one street and one small waterfront pathway. However, this one street consisted of a variety of small and interesting shops. All kinds of gifts shops from the usual low cost tacky variety to the more independant kind selling lots of local arts and crafts. There were also a lot of jewellers and leather merchants. We stop for a coffee and enjoy their free wifi before walking on towards the end of town. We walk back to ensure we don't miss any shops on the other side of the road and then turn onto the waterfront.

This is full of small tavernas with the proprietors beckoning us in to try their ware. We plump for one right at the end that gives us a good view of Splendour across the harbour. We order Greek Salads and Tzatziki and some local beer. It was delicious. Was a good job that we didn't order fish as the town seemed to have a very large cat population that spent the whole of the meal winding through the chair legs and our feet in the hope of some scraps. After lunch we head back to the shops as Peter would like a small leather man-bag. He doesn't see anything he likes and so we head back to the ship to spend the rest of the afternoon sun-bathing on the top deck. We have been really lucky with the weather this week so far as another couple we met were on the previous weeks sailing as said they had to miss a port due to bad weather.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Stray catStray cat
Stray cat

Bit of a bruiser from the look of him.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb