Dublin, IRE / London, ENG


Advertisement
Europe
July 30th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We got up early this morning to head to the ferry terminal. Irish Ferries took us between Dublin, IRE and Holyhead, ENG - not without excitement. The day was actually filled with delays. During our ferry ride there was a medical emergency and we had to turn back towards Dublin port. Eventually, a medivac helicopter was dispatched, picked up the ill passenger and then we were able to turn back towards England.

Due to the delay, we ended up arriving in England a couple of hours later than expected. We also encountered tons of traffic on the M1 (main highway into London) and a LOT of construction. Unlike Vancouver, which suspended construction during the Games - London has got projects everywhere...including downtown Central London.

Sadly, because of the ferry and traffic situation, we were unable to visit Bedford, England today which is tied to the Horner heritage and where Will's great grandfather lived. We are hoping to have time while here to make a quick afternoon trip to check that our. The delays also meant that instead of parking, then going to our Hostel and then to pick up our tickets, we had to drive downtown to pick them up at West Minster College. What a nightmare - but we made it at about 6:35pm with 25 minutes to spare (did we mention we were running on fumes in the gas tank too? ...very stressful). We now have a fistful of tickets and we are guarding them with our lives!

After settling into our hostel (which is actually quite nice and is Olympic central with tons of big screens everywhere with different events on), we headed out for a birthday dinner and found a great local spot.

We are just sitting in the Hostel Lounge, watching GB play Algeria at indoor volleyball after watching the tail end of our Women's Basketball Team beat GB! Off to bed soon - two Olympic events on the calendar tomorrow, Swimming in the morning and Men's Basketball tomorrow evening.

Trouble with the internet at the hostel tonight, so no photos from today (it was a light picture day anyways)...looking forward to our first Olympic update tomorrow. The City of London is alive with excitement and it is all dressed up for the big show.

Night from the Queen's backyard,

Kristy & Will


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



31st July 2012

Just saw you on tv. That was just a bit awesome. Have a great first day at the Olympics.

Tot: 3.392s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0597s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb