Barcelona & Madrid!!


Advertisement
Europe
July 25th 2011
Published: July 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Barcelona! July 14 to 17 then Madrid 17 to 18

What a weekend..is all I really have to say about our "long" weekend in Spain. We accomplished so many things that it felt as though I was gone from my "home" of Segovia for a week--even though 5 days is close to a week.

Thursday July 14
Travel Group: Rachel, Jillian (she went to Pamplona with us), Carey Beth, Ali, Sami, and Elizabeth.
After a long day of classes, we all had our lunches and headed to the bus station to travel to the train station to go to Madrid to then take a metro to the airport to take a plane to Barcelona then a bus to Barcelona city centre to take a metro to an area around our "hostel" to walk the rest of the way. Let's start at the Airport.
We got to the airport and made it through security within 4 minutes. We did not have to take off our shoes or anything..painless. The alarm did go off for Elizabeth, though, because she forgot to take her sunglasses off. They just had her put the sunglasses on the belt. Easily done.
When we got to our gate that was extremely far away there were all these people lined up, why? I still do not know because we have assigned seats. Spanish culture? The lady laughed when she saw Rachel's and my carry-on and made us check it..it is the bag that Rachel carried on to Spain so why it wouldn't work who knows..of course we did pack it ridiculously full. Our flight simple and fast! When the flight attendants were doing the standard procedure for safety, they actually put on their life-vests and showed us how to use them...interesting. That was the first time I had ever seen a plane life-vest and then how to actually use it.
In Barcelona airport...Elizabeth disappeared off with her husband and aunt who are here to visit for 10 days. We did not see her again until Monday for classes.
Every sign in Barcelona was in Catalan (the dialect of Spanish that people in Barcelona speak), Spanish, and English. We quickly learned that word for exit is not "salida" but in Barcelona it is "Sortida."
We took a bus ride to the center of the Barcelona town (well near government buildings since the city is huge) and then hopped on a metro to head to our "stop." After taking the metro (it is now 10:00pm), we made it to our stop and got off. Now the problem arose that we did not know where our stupid hostel was. The guy at the airport said we would be able to see it. We pulled out our maps and started looking. This nice Canadian family helped us and pointed us in a direction that we started walking in. Well, this was NOT right. (I can share this now with my family because I am safe)--we were in some horrible area of town..As 4 girls pulled luggage around an unfamiliar city headed into the worst areas...(Ali was not with us because she has an euro-rail pass and had already taken the train to the hostel). We tried calling Ali and she did not pick up.
After a 20 minute walk, Ali kind of helped us find the hostel. Basically I had us turn on a street and that ended up being the street for the hostel. We had walked on every street but ours to the hostel..this is the story of our weekend. We always go and choose the wrong direction.
The Hostel.
Hmm how should I begin?
I don't really know what to say about this place. The positives include tight security & a pool. Yup that is it for the positives.
This is what my mind thought and saw:
Rachel and I walk into our room. We turn on the light. I see blank, white walls with scratches and dirt. There is a door on the right. I don't open it yet. I am exhausted and all I want to do is lie down on my own personal twin bed (like advertised) and relax after a day of classes and public transportation. Well, that does not seem to be an option. Why? There is one full bed. Yes full. I do not mean double nor queen, I mean full. Oh wait, where should I put our bag? I don't know. There is one foot of free room around the bed. Yes one foot. (Some of you may not believe me considering that I am quite dramatic, but rachel can attest to all of this). So, after wanting to cry because I am so upset, I head to go to the bathroom. I open the bathroom door. It is stark white too. I see a sink, a toilet, and a "shower." This room is probably five feet x four feet. You could not fit more than one person in the bathroom if you wanted. Actually, you could got to the bathroom, take a shower, and brush your teeth (by using the sink) all at the same time. So, does someone need toilet paper? Good joke. there is no rod for the toilet paper, where do you look for it? On a counter somewhere..nope no counters. It moves every use. Oh so you want to wash your hands? Hmm well hope you don't want to use soap because we had none. Oh and the one hand towel that is offered we don't want to get too wet because it's not like it will ever dry or we will ever get new ones. Well, this is a wonderful place to stay. (that was sarcasm). Obviously at this point at 10:45pm, all I want to do is leave the happy place that I am staying in. So the six of us, go to get dinner at some place around the corner. We sit outside and enjoy pizza and beer. Thank goodness some American food. The corona was divine. Oh it's like 1 in the morning..time to go to sleep and prepare for the next day. As Rachel and I prepare to go to sleep, I notice that we do not have two pillows, but one long pillow. This is lovely. I want to go to sleep just under the sheet and pull the comforter back because I am hot. Oh can't. The sheet is connected to the comforter. Everything gets better and better in our little hostel. **If only one person was staying in this room, then everything would be okay. It would not be as much of a problem. (just wait until we get to 3 people in one room).

Day 2--July 15 Friday.
We woke up around 10am a decent time..to begin to get ready for the day. At our "breakfast" downstairs (breakfast is used lightly because it is never a real..what I would consider a breakfast..since it is either a sandwich or a two inch croissant) planned out the day. We were to head to Park Guell (Gaudi's park), the Sagrada Familia, Picasso Museum, and a boat ride.
We finally left our "hostel" (once again used lightly) around noon to explore. We had previously purchased 'Barcelona Tourist Pass' which meant that you received free public transportation, discounts on museums and stores, and some things were free. At the metro, there were constant videos being shown of people being pick-pocketed..it was quite interesting, yet made me on my best surveillance of my stuff constantly.
The ease of having this pass for the metro was great because we never had to stop and buy a ticket...it made life so much easier! We took the metro to Park Guell. We exited the metro (there are mulitple exits so we always just pick one to leave from) and of course there are no signs as we exit..so we follow a crowd and I ask a lady working a store and she gives me a rude look and says turn left. We turn left. We see a side of a mountain. This is not the side of a hill, this is a mountain. We begin to walk up the hill while our pace gets slower and slower (there were people all around walking too so we just kept with the crowd). Halfway up we see escalators! Finally! No one is walking the stairs. Everyone is taking the escalators..well started sweating under an hour out of the "hostel." We reach the top & literally see a park..nothing of what I had seen before in magazines or tour books...There are gorgeous views. 
Side Note: We were going to do a free (from our pass) overlook of the city on this contraption that is near this park..oh we see it from where we are..and we are as high or higher than it goes..just for clarification on our 'hike' uphill till the escalators)
We continue on walking through the park and taking in the views...we make it to the highest point and see where all the people are..at the other side (so much lower!) of the park where some of Gaudi's houses and work are. We make our way there to be overwhelmed by people, tourists, and school groups. (Remember..it is Friday). We see the house that Gaudi lived in (did not go in bc of money) and all of his work..it is really cool to see the mosaic work that he created. So, with so many people we got sick of it & decided to leave.
We followed the 'signs' to the metro that lead us to a main street with NO MORE signs to the actual metro. We were looking on maps & asking people..but everyone said something different..40 minutes later we found a metro stop. (This park is in the northern part of Barcelona so there are a lot less metro stops)
Now we arrive at the magnificent La Sagrada Familia. The Cathedral that Gaudi was building, but never finished..It is absolutely gorgeous! We decided against paying the 12 euros to go in..but walked around the whole place and could see where the city is trying to finish the rest of it..it is clearly different and noticeable.
Side Note: While there..this Australian lady stops us and asks if we want to take a tour of her discoteca to see if we should go that night..because we are really pretty people & would love her club..after paying the 20 euros to get in..really? No. We passed@
As we left La Sagrada Familia, we headed towards the Picasso Museum. We exited the metro and of course walked the wrong way for a good mile. We finally realized that when we ended up on Las Ramblas which is on the other side of the city. Oh well..we ended up eating somewhere and split ways with Ali (who was on her way to meet her boyfriend for the rest of the weekend because he is studying in Prague)
We attempt to walk to the Picasso Museum and follow the 'signs'..after walking the whole block around the actual museum to then stumble upon it was not that much fun. The Picasso Museum-was okay. The building was really cool because it used to be a noble's house turned into a museum (since Picasso picked the building for his museum)
Side note: I did not know that Picasso did not die until the early 1970's. That was fascinating.
So, none of us were impressed with the museum..at least it was only 6 euros for us with our pass so we didn't have to waste more money (should've gone into La Sagrada Familia)
When we left the Picasso Museum and got to the metro (the same one we arrived on hours before and now realized that we were 200 metres from the stop), we head to Port for our free boat ride courtesy of our pass!
I LOVE water..so this is fantastic :] We get to the port, see the statue of Christopher Columbus pointing towards America, and go get our free tickets! We are pumped..well I am pumped! So, it is a 35 minute boat ride.turned out to be a 45 minute boat ride..except we NEVER left port. We only saw the city & the cruise ships. What a disappointment..should've taken the 1,30hour for 7 euros. Oh well. It is time to go get ready in our "hostel" and prepare for the evening...but before we make it there we must stop at a convenience store to buy things like soap. (the hostel had none). This convenience store story is fabulous. Completely entertaining & gives more reasons for my hatred of some things or types of people in life..so to hear this one you must ask me..I don't want anyone to get offended about the rude things I say. (especially since every time I tell or think about it I get more and more angry)
After all of us getting ready, we meet Ali and her boyfriend (Evan) at another plaza. We had a lovely dinner (I had duck!) it was scrumptious :] We were at dinner until probably 1:30am..then we asked our waiter (he was really funny with is broken english)
Side note: I find broken english to be entertaining..but I am sure the Spaniards do not like the broken spanish we constantly speak to them
He told us to go one direction..so the 7 of us head on out. We start passing a bunch of gay bars..then we find one that looks neat and walk in...oh it is a lesbian bar. We decided that he let us on a wild goose chase & change directions. We go to some irish pub where the nice lady says that all bars close at 3am, but the discotecas are open until 6 or 7 am. It is now 2:45am. We get a drink from her irish pub & she gives us free passes to "City Hall"
What is City Hall? It is a discoteca one block away..girls get in free with this pass before 3:30am. We enter around 3:20am. A discoteca=a club. The drinks there were 10 euro a piece..one drink for me. The music = 80's American music made into techno music. Very interesting. One song is all techno then simply says "Barbara Streisand" then goes back to the techno. It was fun & entertaining to say the least. We end up leaving at 5:30am (because at 4:30 we decided to wait until 5am when the metro started up again). We all head back & go to sleep for the night until our alarms go off at 11am the next day.
Saturday July 16
When we finally all wake up & get ready for our "beach" and minimal activity day, we leave the "hostel" around 2pm. We end up taking a cable car ride (for 6 euro with our pass) to Mont Juic (that is NOT the right spelling..but without internet right now, I can't remember) This top of the mountain has a GORGEOUS view of Barcelona (as of now the view is my profile picture on Facebook) and there is a castle..with a moat! Oh how I Should live in a castle near the water with a moat :]
We spend a good 1.5 hour here looking around and taking thousands of pictures. When we leave we are now ready for our beach day! We make it to the beach after a 2 hour lunch because the waiter was so horrible around 7pm. Oh it is fantastic! Problem=thousands and thousands of people. problem = I HAD TO use the bathroom & had to pay one euro to use it. Pissed. problem=beach vendors.
Beach vendors. These people would go around asking us if we wanted sunglasses, massages, beer, water, etc. They just don't understand no! The best was when a younger guy asked us if we wanted beer or water, we said no, then he got closer and whispered.."hash, marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy" obviously we said no. Except, if I would've said yes, where would he just pull out all of these drugs from? That is what I want to know.
So the beach was very nice & relaxing..we were only there for like an hour and a half because now it is time for the Magic Fountain of Barcelona! (I didn't mind it being a short trip to the beach because I knew we would be going in Valencia the following weekend)
The Magic Fountain. It is a fountain that changes lights and movements and levels of water to music. It was amazing. I loved it. I could sit there for hours watching..and we sat for an hour and a half. Each "show" which was like every 20 min to half hour was a different type of music from Barcelona music to American to classical/orchestra music. Very different & unique, but don't worry I have a 5 minute video to show everyone.
Okay onto the worst part of the night. THE ROOM situation.
So, the "hostel" was completely booked the next night, so we were going to have to have 3 people in one room and 2 in the other. Let's remember (or look back) to how small our room already is..now to add another person would be miserable. It was miserable. The other problem is that there is a security guard in front of where you swipe one by one to get in..so we had to "break" the system..it took time and was difficult but we did it which is all that maters. More interesting details on that for in person.
Side note: I hope you are keeping a list of the funny and interesting stories for me to tell you because I will not remember all of this.
SUNDAY JULY 17
Up bright and early at 7 am (after going to sleep close to 2am) for the aiport! What an adventure this will be! We take a bus to the airport..there are 2 terminal drop off for the bus but 4 terminal. What will happen next? (I'm taking a writing break to sleep now...not that you'd ever know that without me obviously saying this now).

So, the rest of our trip..
Barcelona. I loved you with your beaches, beautiful buildings, easy metro, and stunning views, but i absolutely hate your airport. So, we take at 8am the bus to the airport. This lovely bus ride that takes us 45 minutes to get to the airport, where we don't know what terminal is ours. Spanair...well in Spain the airlines are not listed for departures..so we get off at Terminal 2. Terminal 2 has three sections of A B or C. These three sections only have information for Terminal 2. We try asking people where to go, no one knows. We finally find a "Terminal 1 to 2" shuttle & ask the guy..he simply says get on this bus. So, we do. We are on the bus to terminal 1. 20 Minutes later we arrive at terminal 1. Really? The reason for having 2 terminals so far apart? I still do not understand. We enter Terminal 1 A. I see spanair. We have checked in online, but need to check our bags since on the way to Barcelona, they were not happy that we tried to bring on our carry on's (that are carry on size in the US). The line...300 people long. No exaggeration. So, we print our tags for our bags and are suppose to stand in the "drop off luggage line" but it has the 300 people, so we go to the check-in line of 50. I obviously know that this is wrong, but we are just going to play dumb to the lady because now we only have 50 min until our flight leaves, After arriving to the airport one hour and forty five minutes early. Finally, we get to the lady and she explains that we are in the wrong line, but she will be kind and take our bags anyways. Duh. I was not leaving that line without her taking them & if she wouldn't have taken them, then I would've taken them through security again (especially since security is a joke).
Now at 35 minutes until our flight leaves we hustle through security and go to our "gate." We had to look up our gate after security because they change gates constantly in Spain. It is as though no one understands how to make a solid decision. So frustrating. We make it. We all need food and water, but that is obviously not happening. We get to the gate are waiting for 5 minutes and they make an announcement saying that the plane will be delayed 10 minutes. 40 minutes later, we pass through the checkpoint down to a bus that is going to shuttle us to the flight. Really right now? After a 10 minute bus ride, we are the middle of the airstrip somewhere getting off the bus walking up the stairs to our flight. Finally. We are finally on our way to Madrid.
MADRID Sunday July 17
We arrive to Madrid to take a bus to the business area of town to walk to our "hostel." For this hostel we have 2rooms of triples. Oh my gosh or as some spaniards say... Madre Mio! o Dios Mio! Our room was great. Not great like awesome, like great in comparison to the horrible place in Barcelona. We have a normal sized hotel room ..a little smaller because of 3 twin beds, a foot by foot balcony and a real shower. Time for a siesta.
After our siesta we head to El Prado. It is the free day, so we get there receive tickets & head into El Prado. The problem is that we head to the wrong section where you cannot see what is free. My frustration is through the roof, until after 5 different areas, this nice man tells us that we are in the wrong section & where to go. There is so much to see at el Prado, that I could easily spend hours there (plus it is all different artists so it is much more interesting than the Picasso Museum). El Prado closes at 8pm, at 7:45pm we are being shoved out by the docents like we are cattle. We needed to wait for Carey because she was further behind and tried to stop, but no, the ladies were like yelling at us to leave. Chill out people, it is still15 minutes until it is suppose to close.
We leave meet up with the rest of the group & head to the plaza where we will be meeting our pub crawl group & eat dinner. So a group of 6 of us eat dinner & this man asks us in english is we care if we are in the back of his picture that he is taking..we say no..he says that it might be in an American magazine..obviously we ask what and he responds with Delta Magazine. So, if anyone is going to fly delta in the next couple of months or so, I might make an appearance..who knows. It could also be a horrible picture since we were eating dinner and chitchatting.
The pub crawl. We met a group of people for our pub crawl. It was interesting. It was fun. It was a little out of control. There were 10 of us plus like 15 other people who wwent on a sunday night pub crawl. We had tons of fun & headed back to the hostel around 4am. Once again, to know more about this night you will have to ask because it is too much to write right now.
Monday July 18
Well, this is an interesting day. We all wake up and get ready to leave in our hungover state of mind for the rest of the day & our return to Segovia for evening classes. Rachel and Carey decide they want McDonalds before we go to the Futbol Stadium. (Rachel, Carey,nad I are all wearing matching jerseys that we got for 10 euros in Salamanca) We head to the worst McDonalds I have ever been to. First, Carey spoke spanish to the guy and the rude lady behind her started making fun of her until she turned around and the lady realized we actually do speak spanish. Secondly, it took 15t minutes to get food and drinks. Ridiculous 3, It just wasn't that good.
After lunch just Carey, Rachel, Jillian, and I take the metro to the stadium. Only Carey and I go through the stadium. We have 30 minutes to go through it before we need to leave to go get our luggage then head to the train station. We do awesome going through the stadium. We saw everything on the guided tour and are now experts at seeing everything in under 30 minutes for a museum. It was really cool! The pictures are the best part about the stadium (all of my pictures for everything will be facebook posted and possibly google+ posted when I return to America)
SO, turns out we miss our train. It really wouldn't be a trip to Europe without missing our train. All if well, we pay the 10 euros for another train ride 40 minutes later and make it to segovia in time for classes. Carey was 10 minutes late to her class, but the rest of us don't have class until an hour later. All is well that ends well.
The end of this trip experience was not written as detailed as I would have liked but a lot happened in such a short time. I hope you all get ready to hearabout the beach weekend this coming weekend in Valencia. (Plus why tell all, then no one will want to talk to me about my trip!)˜

Adios!
Em

Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb