Oh The POOR Dog!! Pompeii


Advertisement
Europe
May 20th 2010
Published: May 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Poor PupPoor PupPoor Pup

Dog struggling as the city is being covered with lava. So amazing that we can see this today.
As you can imagine, those of you who know Jean well, know that it was a sad day when she viewed the remains of a poor dog with a collar and chained up, who died in the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in Pompii in 76AD. Okay, so it was awhile ago, but it still made her sad ;-) However there were live dogs all around the ruins and that perked up her day.

There are 66 acres of the city and you cannot see it all in a day... it is amazing how well preserved everything is and we were able to see things like the bakery, plaster casts of people trying to save themselves, amazing rock roads, the "bakery", the "bordello" ;-) and lots and lots of visitors! The "roads" through the city are made of large boulders and made walking difficult. But if I lived in those days I would have been excited to have such a large modern city.

The port we used to access Pompeii was Naples where we saw the docks that Jean's grandfather and grandmother, Abramo DiMizio and Tecla Amanzini left in 1910 and 1912 to come to America. It was very moving and we took pictures. On to Santorini in the Greek Isles!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb