Soccer Game and Cioccolata Calda


Advertisement
Europe
March 7th 2010
Published: March 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well today's entry won't be so detailed but Ben and I met Marco, the guy that works at our residence, at about 1:45 in the street. We walk to the match because the stadium is about 15 minutes away. As we walk there we talk a bit about soccer in Europe and how big a deal it is. The match we are about to see would be the equivalent of watching a Georgia Southern Football game or a gladiators arena football game in terms of the skill level relevant to A league level teams in Europe. But the way the fans show up for the games and the big deal they make about Hellas Verona shows the true meaning that soccer really has over here... its like a religion. Marco has different seats than Ben and I, so he takes us to the gate that we have to go into. At the gate we have to show our ID because our name is printed on the ticket. (Ben and I went and picked them up at the box office near the center of town the day before). We go inside and scan our ticket, and this weird caged roundabout door lets us in. Everyone has blue and gold scarfs or hats on that say Hellas Verona. In this division, at the moment Hellas Verona is ranked one and Reggiano is in a three way tie for third place, so this game is kind of a big deal for both teams. Reggiano scores first and Verona answers just before the half. Throughout the match, Ben and I get a kick out of the crowds reaction when they don't like a certain call by the ref. Sometimes they yell "MORTE!" and repeatedly wave a thumbs down sign up and down in unision. We find out later that this means "death" and is supposed to mimick the chants that occured at Gladiator games in the ancient times. Sometimes, it was even more entertaining to watch these three guys a couple rows in front of us that were completely sloshed. Someone is taking a picture of them and the middle one spills about half a beer on his friend, but his friend is so gone that he doesn't even notice. Later, a short, Joe Peschi like guy, very animated (stereotypical Italian), literally swings his arms around his buddy's neck and kisses him on the cheek while shouting something in Italian. They were a riot. With about twenty minutes in the second half left, Reggiano scores the goal that would later not be answered. They scored on a fast break after one of the Verona players over played a free kick. The crowd is ticked. We leave semi bummed that we couldn't see a victory but the experience was well worth it. On the way back, Marco is a bit bummed, but not Tom and Price after a Patriots loss bummed (if you know what I mean). We end up stopping into this wonderful caffe and pastry place and I order this Cinnamon Apple roll and experience Italian Hot Chocolate with whipped cream for the first time (Cioccolata Calde con Panno). Let me tell you... I will never go back to American hot chocolate. This hot chocolate tastes more like warm, thin, drinkable chocolate pudding. Marco says that he can't even be mad about the match as he drinks this stuff. I immediately want to come back to this place, it is very close to the residence and has plenty of tables to study on if needed. I also fall in love at first sight with the girl that works at the shop. She is the owners daughter according to Marco. I ask Marco how to propose in Italian for future reference and he laughs. It was a great conclusion to the day. Pictures will be up soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb