Cruisin’: The cheese factor


Advertisement
Europe
July 24th 2009
Published: July 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This is not about the actual cheese they serve on board as it’s pretty crap. This blog is about the pure cheesiness of cruising.

First of all, I must share that Shane and I have come to a realization that cruising is not travelling. Everything is far too easy here. Everything is done for you and you cattle queue with hundreds of other people for it all and there is no chance of getting lost or not knowing what to do—it’s all pre-arranged and sorted. We’re not saying cruising is a bad thing at all, we’ve actually been having a great time…it’s just different to anything we’ve experienced before!

Back to the cheese. I won’t talk about the entertainment as Shane will cover that in a separate blog (but it is mostly cheesy too). I will mention the general sounds that are played all throughout the ship: elevator muzak non-stop. At the pool, in the central areas, in the lounges, etc. My boss Marcus would be in Hell. You see lots of people living on their iPods and I can’t really blame them.

The wait staff is lovely but we’re pretty sure they rehearse every cheesy comeback, joke, etc. when they do their training. Prizes for winning games are pretty bad too: we won Royal Caribbean luggage tags for doing an aquafit class in the pool. The souvenir flashing glasses, the RCL t-shirts you can buy with port names on it, the pictures with mascots that have nothing to do with where you are, the excursions that take you to “authentic” places that we’re pretty sure cruise companies keep afloat and locals don’t go to. There’s also the portraits with the Captain (poor guy, standing there for an hour trying to look like he’s having fun).

Total cheese but we loved it: the towel animals they would have in our rooms each day, the belly flop contest, the Quest game show (see later blog).

And a big shout out to all the people who wear the blue and white horizontal stripped shirts. It actually doesn’t look out of place on this floating palace.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



28th July 2009

Love the animals!
Hey guys, Looks like you are having a heck of a time, even if it is a bit cheesey. I am so green with envy, it is not even funny, and the only thing that saves me is knowing we will see you sooo soon, and be in that place in one of your pics....I have to say that the towel animals are awesome!!! I love them - I am sure Smoy would too.. Keep on having a great time and big hugs, me

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb