Venice in a nutshell


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
July 17th 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was a very long trip from Sydney to Venice, took about a day and a half. Needless to say, we arrived at Hotel Ala in Venice rather sweaty and exhausted but a nice shower solved the majority of our problems and off we set about exploring Venice for the next 3 days. Some herbal Nytol and melatonin at night helped get us on the right sleeping schedule and our jet lag was fairly non-existent. Yipee!

Our experiences and thoughts on Venice can be summed up as follows:
• Lots of walking and getting lost in the streets, which was a great way to see the city.
• Some good meals, most notably the Michelin Red Book recommended Vini Da Gigio (thanks to Mr. Swann, Janie’s Dad, for introducing me to those restaurants!). Also enjoyed the take-away mini calzone.
• Lots of shopping for wedding-related items—I found the greatest shoes and they came with extra heels and a cute shoe bag. Only the Italians. Shane found a suit and a shirt, which are needed for the cruise. We’ll be posting home a package after the cruise as we’ve now got too many things for our bags!
• Our trip to Murano, where the glass blowing is done, was slightly boring and we didn’t say long after a tasty lunch.
• We did do a gondola ride, which we really enjoyed. We did it at dusk when it wasn’t so busy and I could have been lulled to sleep it was so relaxing. We had a nice gondolier who subtly pointed out the mafia house, which was pretty cool.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Gross but had to include thisGross but had to include this
Gross but had to include this

My feet were swollen for three days after the plane ride. Awful and it certainly won't happen again!
trying for a decent shottrying for a decent shot
trying for a decent shot

Note gondolier in the back!


25th July 2009

Ciao Amici!
Oh FAB-U-LOUS!! Excellent pictures! Love the descriptions! Hoping you are enjoying every moment :-)

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb