Eurotour (so far!)


Advertisement
Europe
June 9th 2009
Published: July 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

berlin wallberlin wallberlin wall

from the bus window
How can you create a lifetime of memories in just 18 days?
Get together 56 of the most brilliant people you will ever meet, 14 of the most beautiful cities you will ever see, a big yellow bus, a years supply of nutella and VÆRSGO... Enough memories to last you forever 😊

On Monday May 18, we departed from Copenhagen for Berlin, catching the ferry from Denmark to Germany. We were accompanied by our tour guide Per, a Rotarian named Axel and his girlfriend Lone, and our fantastic bus driver Rasmus! Everyone was full of high spirits despite it being only 730am (which is early for us slackers on summer holidays!). While in Berlin, we stayed in a youth hostel about 30mins from the city centre. I shared a room with the beautiful Brasillian girls; Ana, Thais, Ana, Pati and Bia. We spent the first night in Berlin exploring the city on our own, before retreating to the hotel due to rain. The next day was spent sightseeing, where we visited the Berlin Wall, and other historic statues. Later that afternoon when we had free time, Elisa, Maddy, Ash and I went into the city and did a spot of shopping before heading to a quite pub then back to the youth hostel.

We departed from Berlin bright and early on Wednesday morning for the beautiful city of Prague, in the Czech Republic. On the way, we stopped at the labour camp of Terazin. It was built in the 1700s, but was famously used by Hilter in WWII as a ghetto to house Jews from Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Germany, Austria and the Netherlands. Although it was not a concentration camp, the appalling conditions lead to over 20% of the 150,000 inhabitants dying. It was really interesting and very moving. Later that day, we continued on to Prague. Our first night in Prague started with an exquisite three course meal served at the glorious hotel we were staying at. Per took us into the city to look around, before we headed back to the hotel. The next day, we explored the Prague Castle, then had free time in the city which Maddy, Ash, Elisa and I used to have a nice meal on the canals, and then go shopping in a big shopping mall. Later that night, we went to the biggest nightclub in the Northern Hemisphere, which was very cool! Getting up the next morning at six am wasn't as great...

From Prague we travelled to Vienna: the most beautiful city on the tour (well, I thought so at least!). Vienna is absolutely gorgeous. We saw the Schönbrunn Palace; one of the most stunning castles with breathtaking grounds, on the first day, before going to our hostel which was unfortunately 30mins by bus out of the city. This was okay though, as lots of people took the opportunity to frolic gaily in the nearby forest. The next day in Vienna was spent sightseeing. There was so much we all wanted to see that it was impossible to decide!! We tasted the famous Sache Torte (a rich chocolate cake), which was probably the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten (but you definitely paid for it!)!. It was THAT good! Next we wandered up the main walking street looking at the shops, before making it to the beautiful castle at the end of the street. Elisa and I missed the bus going back to the hotel, so stayed until 10pm when the next one would come to pick us up. We wandered around the city looking for somewhere to eat, eventually getting completely lost and finding a tiny asian restaurant which was cosy and had great food! Tip of the century: Go somewhere completely new, and get lost. It's amazing what you find! That night we went to bed early, as the late nights were starting to build up!





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

terazinterazin
terazin

entrance
terazinterazin
terazin

registering office


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb