Les Memoires d'une Fille


Advertisement
Europe
November 29th 2005
Published: November 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Berlin:
After I quick updated, we went to a concentration camp called Sacsenhausen. To get there, we hopped on the U-Bahn to Orinienburg, and of course, we didn't buy tickets because we heard it worked on the honors system. On the train, some men with boxes came up to us and asked for what we think were tickets. When we weren't producing them, they yelled "ausgang! ausgang!" We knew this meant exit and decided that it would be okay...we'd just buy a ticket and get back on. However, when we got off, the men followed and asked us for passports and rambled to us in German, while we proclaimed "We don't know how this works! It is the first time! Train virgins!" Instead of getting hauled away to god knows where, we each paid an absurd amount of euros and laughed.
Anyway, we got to the station in Orinienburg and walked about 3 miles across highways and through neighborhoods in the freeeeezing cold out to this deserted concentration camp. It was really well preserved and still had most of the buildings. They were gray, cold, and bleak, and there was a certain smell that hung in the air. The whole place radiated this intensely sad feeling as I walked around listened to the almost overly informative audio guides. On the walk back, we stopped in a small restaurant and ate something called Swienerschnitzel. How we managed to eat after the camp, I do not know...probably because of the cold. Nonetheless, it was really good traditional German food.

That night we walked through the christmas village and ate bratwurst and a thousand different German sweets. Not feeling so well, we made it back to the hostel and went to sleep. Pictures from Germany are coming, but we have to figure out how to get them off Laura's camera (mine stopped working after our Wedding Crasher's-esque party the first night).

I got back in on Tuesday, did a presentation in class, and left again that night for London. It was great to see the guys again (or at least some of them). It was so wierd to have them there in the middle of England. We drank at pubs and saw the London attractions. On Thanksgiving we all ate together....I don't know what I would have done without them on Thanksgiving. On Friday we all went to see the Producers. It is a funny story, but one of the actors was so bad that he kind of threw the whole play off. Nevertheless, it was still a good time (not to mention the theater was part of the Closer set!). Anyway, I hope they had a good time despite the slight plane complications.

Now I am at school and have a trillion things due in the next few days. Alas, it seemed like an opportune time to update the 'ol blog. Really, it is hard to think that my time here is coming to an end. It has been a blast, and I think I've learned a few things on the way. Part of me wants to stay and travel and experience....but thinking about being back with the family and the friends for Christmas gets me excited.
You know that feeling when you are in your pajamas in your parent's living room in front of a fire and your dog's curled around your feet while the family is watching The Muppet Christmas Carol with the humming of Christmas tree lights in the background? Yeahhh that's the one that makes no place on earth more desirable than home. Enough with sappy shite.

Hope everyone is doing well and cannot wait to see y'all! I am back to corrupt Baton Rouge later next Saturday night! If you want to find me, I'll be in the Taco Bell on college for a very very long time (also my cell number is the same).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb