Day 9 - Longtown - New Lanark (Cumbria - Dumfries & Galloway - Lanarkshire)


Advertisement
Europe
June 1st 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Scotland!Scotland!Scotland!

We reach the Scottish border
Our highest average speed but lowest top speed tell today's story: Fairly flat, into a stiff breeze. In nine days of cycling, the wind has been behind us twice. Once on the way to Land's End from Penzance, and once on a roundabout.

We made it to Scotland though. We cycled along an old A road for miles, the majority of the traffic now on the adjacent motorway. The scenery was often obscured by the trees lining our route, and the low clouds that turned to rain in the afternoon.

Eventually we arrived in New Lanark, drenched again. When we're able to post some pics, you'll have more of an idea what an interesting place this is. Just south of Lanark, it seems to be a purpose-built village, housing an old mill and its workers. You can probably find out more on wikipedia. The internet costs £1 for 20 mins here so we're not going to.

The woman at the youth hostel is totally bonkers. It's impossible to have short conversation with her, or one that makes a lot of sense.

71 miles at a relatively amazing 14.1m/h. Bring on le tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

New LanarkNew Lanark
New Lanark

A world heritage site.
Reeds in the wierReeds in the wier
Reeds in the wier

At New Lanark
The Falls of ClydeThe Falls of Clyde
The Falls of Clyde

Quite a tourist attraction in Victorian days


2nd June 2008

Welcome to Scotland!
Welcome to Scotland boys! Is it whisky rather than ale for lunch now? Hope things are kinder to you now you are north of the border... recommend the local 'tablet' for maintaining sugar levels (like Kendal mint cake, but without the mint). Glad you appreciated Robert Owen's handiwork in New Lanark...keep going! L.x. and Andy.x.

Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb