Day 10 - New Lanark - Arden (Loch Lomond)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


GlasgowGlasgowGlasgow

...and not a pub in sight
We took a break from our bikes to walk to the Falls of Clyde. Poor old Clyde - it looked quite steep and slippery. Joking (that was a joke, btw) aside, they were very pretty.

We knew today would be a relatively short cycle, so we decided to take a look at Glasgow. It seems to spread for miles, over a wide flat valley. It's not particularly cycle friendly, but vaste swathes of the centre are pedestrianised which is a good thing. Astonishingly, we found it very hard to find a pub.

After exiting Glasgae on a horrific motorwayesque A-road, we found an off-road cycle route that took us through Dumbartonshire to the shores of Loch Lomond. The largest (in area) loch gave an air of calming serenity that eased our weary bodies. The ale helped too.

An 18th century mansion house overlooking the Loch was our home for the night. It was the first youth hostel that we had stayed in that contained any youths. Tracksuits, hoodies and cigs were the order of the day (and night).

51 miles. 700 in total. Count 'em and weep.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Whee!Whee!
Whee!

Over a bridge out of Glasgow
ReliefRelief
Relief

Just how the pros do it...
Loch LomondLoch Lomond
Loch Lomond

A welcome relief after the busy roads out of Glasgow


Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb