Queuing in Rome


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City
June 14th 2006
Published: June 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was an early rising this morning to go and see the Pope. Kate met us on our street and we stood in the security line to get into the Vatican City. It is well equiped with metal detectors and all! We were so early that we acctually got seats for the big event, as well as one and a half hrs to kill in the blazing sunshine. We found many means of entertainment though, from the group with newspaper sun hats to what I called the ''Secret Service", who were men dressed in black suits and sunglasses keeping the place secure. Hey Cathy, it reminded me of your security guy song in Luxembourg! I even took a picture of the secret agent guy up in the statues, but apparently not descreetly enough because he waved! Ooops, i guess they do keep a really good eye on things 😊 At 10am the cheering began and the Pope came out in his Pope-Mobile waving and smiling at the crowd. We were so close that we couldĀ“ve touched him if it werent for the 20 men guarding him as he drove around, but at least we got some good pictures.
As non of us spoke much Italian, we left about 10min into his speech. It was off to the Vatican Museums with its stupidly long lines. But no need to worry, there was lots of entertainment there as well. From the line jumpers, to the illigal markets. For those who do not know what the illegal markets are, they are basically guys that sell knock-off sunglasses, purses, belts and other items in the street off a blanket. And the reason they do this on a blanket is because its easy to pack up the blanket when the police pass by. Also, you can get fined upto 10,000 Euro if you are caught buying from them. I may or may not have found a nice prada purse for myself 😉 Once inside an hour and a half later, there was a bit of a situation in the "Student discount line" as there was a large group of students infront of us but one of them had tried to used someone elses student card. The ticket man was yelling and security was mulling about. The ticket man was so angry and riled up that he didnt notice that i had flashed him my Youth Card instead of a Student Card. Yay Discounts! Anyways, the museums are amazing. We spent a good 3 hrs wandering the many rooms of the museum, and casually following around english tour guides for their knowledge. The last stop of the Museums is the Sistian Chapel painted by Michelangelo. You are not allowed to take pictures in there though...right Cathy? As we left we had to make the obligatory pit stop at the Vantican Post office and mail postcards within the Vatican City... and yes we did take a cheesy tourist picture of the event as well!
Then, it was off to another queue, surprise, surprise! We waited to pass the fashon police to get into St Peters Cathedral. There really are no words to describe this cathedral. If you are only ever going to see one in your life, it must be St Peters. We went on a "Budget Walking Tour" of the cathedral... yes, we followed around more english tour guides... and learned a few interesting facts about the place. The cathedral is massive and the altar is made of bronze stolen from the Pantheon. As well, there is a Michelangelo sculpture of Mary holding Jesus (I apologize to all the art buffs, as i have no idea what the name for it is!) and it is behind bullet proof glass now after a crazy man with an axe attacked it.
Can you guess what we did next? Stood in anothe queue to get into the tombs and visit the late Pope. There were these monks that when in before us and knelt down by the Popes grave to pray. It was all very solemn and in a strange way kind of peaceful.
Anyways, but the time we left the Vatican City it was early evening. There really wasnt much else to see, so we headed to the train station to figure out our travel plans for the next day. And we waited in line, once again, for the information booth. By the end of that, we had had enough and called it a day. Kate headed back to her hostal, and we headed home. We were smart this time though, because we didn't have dinner first. And Ta-Da! We were greeted with another delicious filipino dinner. We couldn't have asked for anything better! Thanks again Tita Nancy and family for welcoming us into your home!

Amie

Advertisement



30th June 2006

SECRET AGENT MAN!!!
Buddy, this is awesome. I am so proud of you for getting into trouble. However, slightly disappointed that you werent arrested. Just kidding.... On a serious note: I read in another blog that you were having navigating difficulties. I thought I taught you enough last time to be able to make it on your own. Obviously, I must accompany you on your next vacation. :) Cheers, Cathy

Tot: 0.289s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb