Shall we or shan't we????


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 11th 2012
Published: July 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Moored at TeddingtonMoored at TeddingtonMoored at Teddington

end of stage 1...
OK, so it's decision time... cut our losses and make for home, or take it slowly waiting for better weather? Difficult one, 'cos whilst it's been fun up to now (really!), there's only so much wind and rain you can take on a small boat (especially wind). I know I said I wouldn't talk about the damned weather again, but there's little else to think about at the moment, and we are Brits.

Take today for instance... woke up to sun shining through our little portholes, which warmed our little cockles. I took the opportunity of going for a swim with Anne, mainly to get another lovely warm shower. Captain remained aboard and did his Captainly chores, splicing the mainbrace, and other things. After a leisurely breakfast we set off, still in sun, back upstream now, feeling the sun on our skin and a glow in our hearts. Within minutes, the wind whipped up and large wet spots began to fall from a dark sky. As First Mate I scurry around like a mad thing, shutting windows, canopies, flaps, and all other orifices! We travel on, dry but steamed up, trying to regulate the crazy windscreen wipers. Oh dear, a lock looms in the darkness... this means only one thing. First Mate has to leave the shelter of the cockpit and venture out along the slippery side (there must be a name for this part of boat?), grab the sodden bow rope and stand there on the front, looking nothing like Kate Winslet, waiting to lassoo the bollard.

The wind continued to howl, the rain to pour, and thunder clapped in the distance. All living creatures seemed to have taken shelter. But onwards we steamed, to our mooring place for the night just outside Shepperton. With the wind battering the boat and the river whirling dangerously around, H eventually managed to secure her to the bank. At this point we were thinking we'd just come home.

But, then, all change... the wind disappeared,the rain stopped and the sun shone again. All was well with the world; when the sun shines on the river, it really is idyllic.

So, what to do? The forecast for the next few days, few weeks even, is not promising. Answers on a postcard please.

In the meantime, think we'll open a bottle or two and consider our options... if only I could get H to put down his knitting!

Oh no, here comes the rain again.

Advertisement



11th July 2012

Stay or go!?!
As much as we would love you home, I think you'll regret it... Weather is going to be unpredictable, which is such a disappointment & a mental struggle each day BUT what is there to come back for ?? I know it's easy for me to say all the above, I'm not in your wellies.... Only come home if you are both really unhappy because listening to Jo's poxy 7 or 8 puppies and 3 dogs barking in this god awful weather is no fun either :-( We've got a rowdy bunch coming over this weekend too!! How are Helen & Ben getting on? Love to you both from all at No.2 xxxx
11th July 2012

Shall we or shan't we??
Keep going - what else are you going to do if you come home? It's too wet to do the gardening!! cx
11th July 2012

Mutiny
Sounds to us as if you are planning a mutiny - Howard will have you keelhauled if he finds out. Show some backbone and tough it out, it can't get any worse (or can it?).
12th July 2012

Dilemna!
Hi Really enjoy reading your blogs. Whatever you decide you have my total admiration, I'd have given in ages ago but you're clearly made of sterner stuff! If you quit now how will you feel! The weather can only get better and you have some really lovely places to visit. There is always a pub near by and good food to enjoy. If you go home who's going to be doing all the cooking? You decide!! Love to you both x

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb