The Llyen Peninsula


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales
December 10th 2012
Published: December 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a whole summer working (well a few hours a day) we thought we needed a holiday, so we headed north to the Llyen Peninsula. What a lovely place this is, a bit like Devon but with 95% less people (I think there are more animals than people here). We spent most days walking or cycling around the coast as we were never very far away from the sea. We found many lovely beaches and coves with hardly anyone in sight. From the site we had views over the sea in 3 directions and as the sun started to go down each night we could see Ireland appear like magic. One night as the sun went down over Ireland we witnessed the best and longest sunset we had ever seen – it went on for hours.

We saw plenty of wildlife while we were there. We saw seals basking on the rocks at Morfa Nefyn, and almost tripped over a baby seal on the beach near Nant Gwrtheyrn (National language centre). We had never seen a seal pup before and if it hadn’t of rolled over we would have probably walked straight over it. The next day we went to Cricieth to see the castle, but the highlight of the day was after we left the castle and went down onto the beach and saw some dolphins swimming around for about half an hour just off the shore. I tried to get a photo of them but all I seemed to get was the splash as they returned to the water each time.

We had some great weather while we were there, in fact we thought summer had finally arrived – in September, but after a week there it all changed. We were due to move to Anglesey for a week but after 2 solid days of wind and rain the campsite we were going to was flooded and we didn’t fancy towing the van in the wind, so we stayed where we were, which we were quite happy with really. It was sad when we did eventually have to leave.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb