Our last blog entry


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
February 4th 2013
Published: February 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This is a very long entry but it’s probably going to be our last as we never seem to get round to doing it and we are always so far behind with it. Instead we are going to try and put more photos and info on my (Trevor) facebook page, so if you are not already on facebook, join and send me a friend request and you can keep up to date with what we are doing – it’s very easy. The best way to search for me on facebook is with my email address – if you don’t know it, send me a private message on here and I will send you my email address.

After our time on the Llyen Peninsula it was time to catch up with the family. First of all to Chester to see Suzie, we timed it well as we saw her play in one of her rugby matches, although by the end she was quite bruised but she loved it. Emma came up for a few days as well, not sure she was as impressed with the Anderton boat lift as we were though. Suzie and Jackie found a pub with beach huts on the banks of the river Dee - marvellous place to sit with a glass or three of wine.

Next stop was to meet up with Trev’s mum at her cottage near Cardigan. On the way there we had to drive through Aberystwyth and this is where we encountered a bit of trouble. On the way out of the town we had to drive up a really steep hill with a roundabout at the top. There was lots of traffic and we had to stop half way up the hill, complete with caravan. When the traffic started moving again, we didn’t. No matter what we did we couldn’t get the car and caravan to move, all that happened was that the car filled with clutch smoke. Jackie thought we were on fire. She had to get out and stop the traffic behind so that I could reverse all the way back down the hill and into a side road. We then drove to a nearby retail park to let the clutch cool down and plan what to do next (and eat some emergency chocolate biscuits). We planned a 30 mile detour to get us around the hill which took us down lots of country roads, some of them very narrow with tight corners. At one junction we had to do a 3 point turn to get the caravan round. We eventually got to the next site about 2 hours later than planned with the car still stinking of clutch – in fact the smell lasted for days.

After spending a couple of days with Trev’s mum we headed off for a quick stop at Cardiff to see Trev’s dad before heading back down to the south coast. We spent about 6 weeks moving around between Worthing, Chichester and Fareham to see Emma and Andy, Jackie’s mum, friends we hadn’t seen for a year, and to get all the essentials done – dentist, doctors, car service and MOT. We also went on a mad geocaching spree as we have nearly caught up with our main competitors, Jim and Gill.

Before we knew it Christmas was here and we had our traditional Christmas barbeque, this time on the beach near Lee on Solent (it was so cold – why do we do it?). After Christmas we spent a mad few days driving around the country to see everyone (without the caravan in tow). Luckily the snow held off until the following week otherwise who knows where we could have ended up, but the snow did give us a great excuse to be kids again and make a family of snowmen.

We were now into the new year and time to look for a little job for the summer so we had a day trip to the Forest of Dean for an interview for a campsite warden, and then we moved to Devizes for another interview. It was so cold in Devizes that even the canal had frozen.

To find out how we get on from now on please look at facebook, although you can still leave comments on here which we will check on from time to time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Helping to make sloe ginHelping to make sloe gin
Helping to make sloe gin

She didn't like our frozen sloes


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb