She's got the key to the door...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
April 11th 2013
Published: April 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

...had it for fifty years or more!

So sang Grandad as we celebrated Nanny's milestone birthday many, many times over! Oh dear, poor Nanny, she will never be allowed to forget that she is older than Grandad. Never mind, we'll get you next year Grandad!

A happy week down South, even happier in that Daddy came with us this time, so two adults to two kids on the plane, a fair ratio I feel! No, once again, kids were little stars both out and back. The secret? Snacks on the way up, snacks mid-air, and snacks coming down. Throw in a sticker book for G, an activity book for J. Sorted!

Actually we were a little worried about even getting on the plane, G was just getting over a horrific bout of chickenpox, and was still seriously spotty, poor thing. But a large hat and plenty of layers hid the worst of it.

First a few days at Nanny's house, including dinner with Aunty Lau and Uncle Kip on the big day itself. Next night Mummy indulged herself with a night in a swanky hotel*, her first night ever away from the children (bare in mind J is nearly 4)! Evening drinks, bed and breakfast, although I still woke up at 7.30 and only managed a lie-in till 8.15. Poor effort. Obviously need more practice.

(*Chez Kip'n'Lau)

Then onto the lovely Center Parcs in Longleat, joined by Uncle Stiff, AuntyR, cousins B&R. Two cottages in the woods, on one side, the lake, on the other the best swimming pool in the whole wide world ever (according to J, but I think we'd concur). A brilliant place to spend a few days, although in a long weekend we barely scratched the surface. Must go back!

Highlights included the diner for the celebration dinner on the Saturday night. Kids meals were from a buffet, standard kids fare, to be eaten when they wanted, as much or as little as they wanted. There was a balloon man, soft play and computer games for the kids, and cheap cocktails for the adults. Dinner with kids does not get much better! Mummy and Nanny sweated it all out in the spa next morning (sigh)!

Low points included Nanny falling off a segway, but an extreme sports injury is kind of a badge of honour; and Grandad tripping over a rock in the kids playground, not quite so impressive, and very, very painful! (Don't make him laugh!)

This was the first time that the whole family, including all four grandchildren has been together, so we made sure to capture the moment with a group photo, yours truly on the camera. Thank you everyone for following the style guidelines, I think we look quite the part!

It was so nice having everyone together, J & G loved having their cousins to play with, their aunties and uncles to talk to and their Nanny and Grandad to spoil them with chocolate, biscuits and sweets when they thought we weren't looking!

Here's to the next time!

x

(Am posting photos without captions for now, just to get this live.)

And one last thing - I've just been awarded a Silver photography award by Travelblog, the people that host this blog. Sadly not for the quality of my photos, but the sheer quantity, over 1,000 photos posted to date. Wow! Thanks to those of you that have stayed with us since the beginning (that would be the grandparents, then)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

J took thisJ took this
J took this

Not bad!
And my lovely nieceAnd my lovely niece
And my lovely niece

Again, taken by J


Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb