The Frozen South


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
February 27th 2013
Published: March 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Mummy took the two wee seasoned travellers South, to Kent to visit cousins B&R, Uncle Stiff, AuntyR, and the Great Rellies.

And boy, was it cold! Snow fell almost constantly, although none of it settled, a desperately cruel situation for wee J to endure, we've had no decent snow at home, he's dying to build a snowman! I wish I'd packed a lot more jumpers and socks, not that the kids seemed to mind, must just be my old bones.

B & AuntyR met us at the airport, and J was so happy to see them he did a full on, arms outstretched, slo-mo run across the concourse to meet them, and then pulled up short and hung his head shyly!

Thursday was spent playing and getting to know each other again. Friday morning, despite the snow, AuntyR and I had the brilliant idea of getting the kids out to the park for some fresh air. Only half a mile away, but down a hill, I walked with a buggy and three kids, AuntyR took the car with R. And thank goodness she did! Within five minutes of arriving at the amazing, but deserted, playpark, the two wee
Face paintingFace paintingFace painting

It'll be real make up before we know it!
girls were crying with cold and wanted to go home. B wanted to show us her school, but that was too far out of the way, given the conditions, so she was in tears. And the prospect of leaving this brilliant playpark so soon after arriving was too much for J to bear, so he broke down too. We considered all our options, but the wails got louder, so we bundled all four of them into the car, AuntyR drove them away and I walked home alone - peace!

Nothing a hot choc couldn't sort out.

Saturday began with some uncle-nephew bonding, UncleStiff took J for a long overdue haircut. He came back looking really rather dapper, they'd put brylcream or something in it. Him and his fancy London haircut!

Then I took the J&G to visit the Great Rellies, including Great Nanny (92), Gt AuntyLou, Gt AuntyS, my cousin K, his wife Ch and newest member of the family, baby K (10months). Despite initial shyness, a huge tin of toy cars brought J out of his shell, and a huge mountain of sweets did the same for G! It was the first time Gt Nanny had met G, the two of them them enjoyed playing with cars, G zooming them towards Gt Nanny's feet, and Nan would kick them back to her, which was very sweet. It was lovely to catch up with everyone, and before we left AuntyLou took J to watch the trains from the footbridge at the end of the road, just as we used to when we were kids. You have to guess if the train is going to London or the seaside, and wave at the drivers, cheering if they wave back, booing if they don't!

Another great playpark on Sunday (seriously, we have to go back when it's warmer), hot chocs in a cafe and snuggling in front of a lovely fire before heading back to the airport.

When I fly with two toddlers, random strangers like to tell me I'm crazy. No, taking them to Yo Sushi for dinner, thinking it'll kill some time, that's crazy! J whooping excitedly at every dish travelling past on the conveyor (and I mean EVERY single dish), G washing her hands under the water fountains, each of them grabbing excitedly at dishes, chopsticks all over the floor, then getting bored and trying to get down while I'm still hoovering up sushi and salmon rice. Still it did entertain them, it was the first thing that J told Daddy about when he picked us up!

And finally, at the end of the photos is What Happened Next. Poor J, less than a week after getting home has a horrible case of chickenpox. Hundreds of spots, not very pleasant at all. Get well soon, Little Boo ('I'm not Little Boo, I'm Big Boo'😉


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0996s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb