We are still alive!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
April 7th 2009
Published: April 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

First we have to apologise for the time gap before we could update this blog but unfortunately the Highlands has yet to embrace the idea of communication through any media outlet apart from shouting across the glens! that being, broadband, wifi, mobile phone etc is considered some kind of disease and should be avoided!

Anyway, we should start first by thanking Lindsay and Mandy at 'The Bed and Breakfast' in Altnaharra for an excellent stay. Dried all our sodding wet clothes, provided great evening meal and breakfast before packing us on our way. Definately recommended.

Day 2 was another long long affair from Altnaharra to Dulsie Bridge. Much better weather although still a very strong headwind. Nevertheless, because of the climbing and wind, our day lasted 13 hours which meant the final 2 hours were cycled in the pitch black with the assistance of Gabe and the trusty truck lighting the way.

Day 3 (Dulsie Bridge to Blairgowrie) We thought that this was going to be our toughest day, so we left in good time to climb three mountains over 2000 metres high ( The Cairngorms), passing a few ski resorts on the way. This was by far the most difficult cycling that any of us had experienced, wind, rain...one guy we met at Braemar said that cars often struggled to get up that moutain pass!! Again seriously delayed by wind, rain and wee stops. We reached the last moutain of the day in the dark with sleet rain falling and continued to ride another 15 miles to finish, again behind the van with Gabe lighting the way, who had already done a lot of mileage himself that day!! We were happy to get back to the B&B at about 11 o'clock. We would just like to add that to all those cyclists who say that it doesn;t matter which way you do the end to end and the wind doesn't make that much difference - then they obviously haven't done it this way round. There is a good reason why they call John O'Groats 'The end of the road'.

Day 4 - (Blairgowrie to Edinburgh). Highlands now seem far behind us, however still riding into strong headwinds, which make even an easy day tough. Crossed the firth of forth, into Edinburgh, for a few beers to celebrate Gem's birthday (in quotes "this is the worst birthday I have ever had') (Ha!). Tomorrow we are crossing over the borders into England, with the satisfaction that we have now done Scotland!

Thanks for all the messages of support that we have had from everyone, it was good to hear from you all, your support is much appreciated!

Charity Update - Thanks to all the donations, work started on the astroturf yesterday, and for those of you that would like to contribute click onto www.justgiving.com/matthewburns1

Advertisement



8th April 2009

Well Done!!
Hi All, sounds like you have had a guts full of rain and wind to last you a life time!! Keep up the good work and hope there are some glimmers of enjoyment on the trip :-) x
8th April 2009

Glad to hear your still alive!
Sounds like you've all taken a beating! Hope the pubs faired better!!! With the not so bonnie Scottish weather behind you, welcome back to England where hopefully the sun will shine. Keep peddaling, your doing really well. Just think of us we've got a 5 hour car journey on saturday so we can meet you at the finish on Wednesday :> ha ha.
8th April 2009

rip it up joe
Hi joe and team Glad to here your enjoying yourselfs, sounds fantastic, sean says keep the wheels spining. john

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb