St. Cuthbert’s Way. Day one- Melrose to Jedburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Roxburghshire » Melrose
September 5th 2019
Published: September 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

They lied. It was only to be 23 km and it ended up 34 km and 44000 steps. (As per Fitbit.). Ok.. we did get a little lost in the forest coming down from the saddle out from Melrose but that was well less than “1” km. I’m Tired!! Feet tired!! It was a grand trip up the hills out of Melrose. There were about 130 steps to climb and many more Km’s To the saddle. All fantastic. Going down from the saddle was nice as you are walking through forest. The markings need to be clearer, larger and bold. I need to share that signage on this leg was less than perfect.
This part of Scotland and England are often wet. They really need a little tender loving care to put small gravel in the lowers level of the wet path. We spent s lot of time sidestepping potholes. Bikes tracks are seen on parts of this track and bikes have a tendency to dig wholes where water builds on these paths. Gravel would help. More benches would be nice for having a lunch.
Newton St Boswells along the Tweed was a real work out. There are so many stairs that all my joints were working and played out. Nice along the river but not nice covering those miles up and down. Deer Road was a nightmare. Km after km of the same. Only highlight was the harvesting and I was impressed they have as combines and equipment similar to Canada.
However a few of the walks today had black raspberry and St Boswell had a plum tree which provided a little nourishment.
Finally in Jedburgh but too late to see what the city had to offer.
We stayed at Allerton House, nice rooms and staff. A beautiful dinner at Capon Tree to nicely cap off a tough day.
Cheers.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb