Dublin/Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 17th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

FerryFerryFerry

Ferry from the outside

Second Half of Dublin, First Half of Edinburgh



Hello from Edinburgh

Sorry for the delay in updating the blog.

Dublin is a very nice city with tonnes of history. In order to get to Ireland we took a train across the UK from London to the sea port in the North East part of England called Holyhead. From here we took the ferry across to the Port of Dublin (about a 3 hour trip). We arrived in Dublin around 6:30 am so we had to wait until 2:30 pm to check into the Hostel. The hostel is located in an area right off the River Liffey called Temple Bar. The area is full of pubs ands small restaurants.

On the second day we took a tour through the original Guiness Storehouse, which first opened in the mid 1700's. We also walked through Christ Church which has its origins dating back to the late 1000's (1063 I beleive).

The fourth day, today, had us taking a tour of the Jameson distillery and the Kilmainham Gaol. This is an old prison where much of its history is dated to the mid 1800's
Ferry BarFerry BarFerry Bar

The ferry was massive... This was the bar
and is centred around the Irish revolts against the British Empire and the Great Famine.

We then took a trip to Glendalough which is just outside of Dublin. It is a deserted community which was home of the first Christian settlements of Ireland. This place dates back to the 6th Century and was destroyed in the 1300’s by English troops.

On the 14th we flew out to Edinburgh and landed in Scotland’s capital around 9:30. On our first day in Edinburgh we went on a guided walking tour to see most of Edinburgh’s history. Edinburgh has a castle located on a cliff edge in the middle of the old part of the city. Yesterday the Pope was in town so we walked down the street to watch his parade, which was very uneventful.


That is all for now.... stay posted


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Christ Church Christ Church
Christ Church

from the inside
Jameson DistileryJameson Distilery
Jameson Distilery

This shows the different stages and colouring of the Whiskey. It also shows how much substance is lost after the first half of ageing.
Kilmainham GaolKilmainham Gaol
Kilmainham Gaol

Irish Jail
Deep Fried CheeseburgerDeep Fried Cheeseburger
Deep Fried Cheeseburger

Not as good as it sounds


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb